Original topic:

Secure Folder and VPN

(Topic created: yesterday)
marcosxsilva
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I'm trying for years to run a VPN from Secure Folder... and the situation remains!

Some facts: 

1) The VPN channel in the main instance is not shared with Secure Folder (That's ok... we don't want any application eavesdropping Secure Folder!) 

2) It's also acceptable we can't enable VPN inside Secure Folder simultaneously to the main instance...

But... 

We should be able to active a VPN from an application inside the Secure Folder! 

In the past I've tried some open source VPNs ... This time I tried to install a commercial product (Norton 360 Deluxe, which includes the VPN module) in both instances (2 licenses consumed!) ... But it didn't work too! 

I reached Norton support and they've reported Knox (Secure Folder framework) does not allow Third Party application accessing some levels of Knox. 

It's curious because Norton 360 runs the antivirus module smoothly inside Secure Folder! The problem is not a third party application installed in the Secure Folder! 

My best guess is to enable a VPN, the application would require a "root" privilege... In my humble analysis, Samsung engineers failed to design Knox network architecture... or maybe they missed to include the Accessibility "trick" in Knox framework. They probably missed or ignored the users would wish to use some applications running from Secure Folder behind a VPN. 

@community ... Do you have any clues or hints to workaround this limitation? 

Otherwise... unless some Knox product manager see this message and understand our needs, I'm afraid we won't have a solution too soon.

4 Replies
realize
Asteroid
Options
Nope
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Why would you need to run a vpn from inside a secure folder? If you run the vpn on your phone, snything you rin from the secure folder would be covered.
marcosxsilva
Astronaut
Options

I tried. I configured the VPN outside and the traffic originated from Secure Folder was not inside the VPN channel!

This is a basic premise of Knox. You can't access Secure Folder from outside.

This is why I want to run a VPN inside the Secure Folder.

0 Likes
neilth
Red Giant
Options
You should create an error report here in the Members app under Support and see what response you receive.
0 Likes