JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Switching Gallery to Google photos as default

(Topic created: 09-10-2021 11:03 AM)
userXIfJu5JKgr
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I previously had a Google Pixel phone and just switched to a Samsung Galaxy. I use Google photos exclusively.  How do I make Photos my default app and not Gallery?  Both apps are marked as "not the default' in Settings with the "clear defaults" option grayed out for both. The disable button for Gallery is also grayed out.  I use Photos for all my media posts and it's not current an option. I don't mind Gallery since it does sync to Photos, but how am I supposed to share older pics if I can't access Photos. Any advice?

4 Replies
notechsavvy
Constellation
Options
I have the same issue. My phone is a note 20 ultra. Help😊
0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options

I can see how this issue can be frustrating. Here are the steps to making the photos app your default app.

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down and tap on Apps.
  3. Tap on the three-dot menu on the middle-right side.
  4. Tap on Default apps.

Samsung Galaxy Change Default Apps Step 1Source: Android Central

5. Choose which category of Default apps you want to change (assistant, browser, launcher phone, SMS, etc.). I'll tap on the Messages app.
  6. Here you will be presented with the available alternatives installed on your phone. Tap on a different app.

Samsung Galaxy Change Default Apps Step 2

Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to set the photos app as your default?

MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options

That's great that you found an answer to this issue. If you need help with any other issue feel free to reach back out to us. 

0 Likes
Solution
userXIfJu5JKgr
Constellation
Options

I ended up using the Samsung chat function to see if someone from Support could help.  The screenshots above are not available on my phone and the default buttons on both Gallery and Photos are greyed out.  The rep told me that Photos will be used as backup storage not the primary application.  The work around to sharing older photos is to physically download them onto the phone for Gallery to access.

0 Likes