Original topic:

Turning off Bluetooth auto-connect

(Topic created: 06-09-2024 01:13 AM)
0x45
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

If a bluetooth device is turned on nearby that has already been paired then the phone will try to connect to it, how do I turn this off? I've been looking around with no solution but apparently there used to be a way to turn it off in the settings of each device. Has this been moved somewhere or do I have to bite the bullet and convert my phone into linux?

0 Likes
2 Replies
0x45
Constellation
Options

Me and my roommates share a bluetooth speaker and if one person tries to use it all our phones will try to connect to it at the same time continously, occasionally interrupting the one using it. Instead of forcing each person to turn off bluetooth whenever somebody else wants to use the device, a way of turning off the automatic connection would be nice

realaud
Neutron Star
Options

Sorry, unless you are using another BT device of your own at the time, those who do not want to connect to the speaker will have to turn off BT in order not to disturb the connection with the other device.  If you have BT turned on, it will always look around for devices it has previously been paired to. Seems to me the speaker should not be switching when it's already connected to a device.  Whenever I've tried to connect to ear buds that already were connected to something else, I had a refused connection and had to physically go in and disconnect from the connected device and then connect to my current device. There are devices that allow multiple connections, but I don't think a speaker should be one of them.  Mostly it's the phones that allow multiple devices to be connected at the same time.  It makes no sense that an external speaker should allow multiple BT connections or try to switch when it's already connected.  So maybe the fault lies with the particular speaker.  Check the speaker manual to see if there's a way to turn automatic switching off, or each of you buy your own external speaker and unpair from the current shared one.