JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 dummy SIM

(Topic created: 03-07-2024 08:43 AM)
Therewolf
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have an old Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 that was formerly on AT&T's system via cellular and WiFi connections.  I cancelled the cellular service on this tablet long ago and continued to use WiFi.  I recently received an unlock code from AT&T.

I would like to use this tablet at home on WiFi only.  I did a factory reset.  But the tablet is requiring a SIM before it will boot to the point where I can enter the unlock code (with the original AT&T SIM it just boots normally but does not give me an unlock option).

As I don't want to use this device on any carrier's network, is there some sort of "dummy" SIM that will allow me to boot and just use WiFi?  I have a more modern tablet that I use most of the time, but I'd like to repurpose this older one if possible.

It works on WiFi with the original SIM and without unlocking, but the carrier no longer provides Android updates so certain apps won't run on this old version.  Just hate to toss it if it can be revived.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@Therewolf You should be able to boot it without a SIM and use it for Wifi only. Just skip the part about unlocking it. 

"...but the carrier no longer provides Android updates so certain apps won't run on this old version."

This will not change even if you unlock it. There are no more updates to this device and haven't been for quite awhile. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
2 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@Therewolf You should be able to boot it without a SIM and use it for Wifi only. Just skip the part about unlocking it. 

"...but the carrier no longer provides Android updates so certain apps won't run on this old version."

This will not change even if you unlock it. There are no more updates to this device and haven't been for quite awhile. 

0 Likes
Therewolf
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Thanks, I sort of figured there wouldn't be Android updates for this but was hoping there might be at least one bump, since when I cancelled the cellular service AT&T stopped providing those updates.  Thus my thoughts about unlocking it and maybe ending up with a "generic" tablet.

Oh well, it's off to the recycle bin for this one.  Thanks for your reply!