JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Smart TV closed captioning not working

(Topic created: 07-23-2020 04:46 PM)
usern9uPDHYMOt
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Bought a Samsung smart tv (series 6) yesterday and I cannot get the closed captioning to work. I turned in on through settings, but nothing I am watching through my hub reflects CC. I know these shows have CC because it worked fine on our Sony. 

I am hearing impaired and really rely on CC.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Apps generally have their own CC built in. While playing a video, press up or down on the remote and look for CC options. Once you turn these on, most apps keep them on.

View solution in context

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We're sorry to hear that! Does this issue occur on all sources(Netflix, Blu-ray, Cable Box)?

Please provide the full model code of the television so that we can best assist.

usern9uPDHYMOt
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thanks for getting back so quickly. 

Model UN50NU6900F

Only thing connected to the TV is our Spectrum cable box. CC still works fine on that. 

I tried several different apps to see if it was just the one program on Prime Video that had the issue, but all that I tried still had no CC. 

Thanks. 
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Apps generally have their own CC built in. While playing a video, press up or down on the remote and look for CC options. Once you turn these on, most apps keep them on.

usern9uPDHYMOt
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

That did the trick. Thanks so much. 

0 Likes
userg7tLWXz2ei
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Just bought 40"

Un4on5200

Not responding to closed caption on not on over the air 

Not on any streaming channel 

Not cable

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Have you set up the caption options in the Accessibility settings?

0 Likes
userGlQSEGJR8P
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have same issue with Samsung’s QLED smart tv that the CC is not reliable.

When I go to Internet icon and have my own account to watch TV programs on laptop and iPhone, the CC works fine and reliable all the times without me fooling to turn it on each time I view.

1) The Samsung TV, I cannot turn on CC on the bottom of the live TV news like I did with laptop while watching MSNBC to be one of many examples.    When it finally showed captioning, the next video, the CC disappeared.   I have no control here.

2) The Samsung TV remote control is a joke for deaf viewers.   It has a small red CC but it does not work.   WHen I press on this CC, it showed audio volume to go up or 0.   Fraudulent to deceive the consumers into believe it is readily accessible but it is NOT TRUE!

3) Captioning features:  I like white fonts with black outline so I can remove the black background to read easily but it only offered white fonts that can cause problem like white out with tv program with white or light screen.  I cannot read the captioning while watching tv programs or movies.

4) CC on Samsung is designed to caption shorter on the left.   As result of this,  it moves up too fast to make it harder for me to read while watching the focal (center) point.    Samsung seems to redesign different from the standard CC ruling.    Sometimes the captioning changes the size of font (large on top, bottom small) created strain on Deaf viewer’s eye who rely on CC to watch any shows on TV.   Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and so on are not problem but Samsung TV or internet Icons are main problems.   Samsung placed blames on APP Developers to back out accountability on the quality assurance of CC in compliance with the FCC so I hold Samsung a full responsibility for accepting APPS without ensuring CC are consistent operable in friendly manner.    

5) I will never buy Samsung products if I could not communicate directly to the Samsung manufacturer to address this serious issue regarding CC where millions of people with different degrees of hearing losses rely on to understand what spoken language everywhere that is not equivalent to benefit deaf consumers equally.   The federal law, namely ADA, is 40 years old.   We, people with hearing losses, still have to fight for equal access to spoken language, information spoken without captioning, difficulties to access to CC features that are not friendly users for deaf people in the global.   

userTKAdBhxEIa
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I  cannot get my  Samsung TV UN55NU8000FXZA smart TV to display all of a conversation on the screen---it only shows one sentence of a conversation. I have tried re-setting my options, but still only one half or one sentence of a conversation appears on the screen. Don't know what to do.