Original topic:

FEATURE REQUEST - HIDE UPPER STATUS BAR & HOME BUTTON AT BOTTOM SCREEN

(Topic created: 06-09-2024 10:46 PM)
userw8qanhi3cy
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Dear Samsung Developers,

Please add the option to completely hide the status bar at the top of the screen and the home button at bottom of screen when using Gesture Navigation. Those 2 status bars are always on which can contribute to screen burn-in effect on OLED screens. Hiding them will mitigate this issue. If people want to see the top Status Bar, a simple swipe down from anywhere on the screen when at Home screen. If an app opens, then swipe down from the top of screen to show the status bar to check time, battery, etc info.

Sincerely,

Sunny

9 Replies
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I agree that it would be nice to keep the status bar hidden until pulled down. Samsung Internet does have the open to hide the status bar when scrolling down and have it appear when scrolling up. It's convenient for reading long articles, but it doesn't serve the purpose of your request.
There is also the Full Screen Apps setting found in Settings / Display. It allows you to select which app you want to display in full screen. Unfortunately, the apo must be modified by the app's developer to allow it to be displayed in full screen, and I only have one game out of all the apps I have that allows it to be displayed in full screen. Actually, now that I looked at it again it seems that it doesn't work either for the app that was listed.
Nevertheless, I hope Samsung takes your idea into consideration. There may be third party apps that could help too.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Personally, I don't mind the upper status bar, I like seeing that stuff at a glance. It doesn't take up very much screen real estate anyway.  In all the years I have had smart phones and all the time I spend with the screen on, I have never, never, ever encountered screen burn in.  Even when I used AOD, never had burn in, so I actually don't know what you are all worried about. 

The only time I've ever seen screen burn in on any device was with old CRT monitors before they were equipped to time out.

0 Likes
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
My husband keeps his screen very bright during the day when he's outside. His Note 8 got heavy screen burn from the borders of YouTube videos.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I would imagine you tube videos are very pixel heavy.  Also, if he had screen burn in from the videos, then he's watching an awful lot of videos.  I've watched hours of streaming and I always keep my screen on bright, and never had burn in.  

0 Likes
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
He actually doesn't watch them, but listens to pod casts while driving and working and keeps his phone in portrait, not landscape. The burn in was from the outline of the videos in portrait mode. That was in his note 8. I haven't seen it in his note 20 yet.
Now that I think about it, I did have screen burn from the status bar on my old note 5. At least now the status bar hides when in landscape mode.
0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
You don't have to worry about burn-in, Samsung employs Pixel shifting to prevent burn-in.

I would love to see in the QuickStar module for it to be expanded to indicator icons to just be in the expanded panel. Currently, it is only Network Information. I have all of them turned off except for battery percentage!
0 Likes
userZNnTdcqwZP
Supernova
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
NavStar in GoodLock(can be download from Galaxy Store) will let you hide navigation bar at the bottom.
0 Likes
userw8qanhi3cy
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Thanks for the tip. However, I prefer those options built-in the OS for better efficiency and compatibility. The more things you install into your phone, the more they drain the battery life faster and potential for leaks and security vulnerabilities of your device.

It is better for Samsung to integrate those features into the phone.

Thanks

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Good Lock is an official Samsung app made to add/improve features that allow additional customizations. I have not noticed a great deal of battery drain from using any of the components. Even checking battery stats, it doesn't even register a blip for app use.

You people kill me. You all want features and customizations as if they didn't involve thousands of lines of code and man hours to implement. Built in probably means more battery drain than an add-on app. They give you an app to provide the features you want, and then you don't want another app--you want it built in. You all worry so much about battery drain, as if a charger or power bank was so hard to carry around, or outlets were hard to find. You know what drains battery? Phone calls and texts, screen on time and constantly being notified about incoming emails and other notifications (basically using the phone at all). You don't want battery drain, don't use a phone. I charge my phone every night while I sleep, so even if I had a heavy use day and my battery is almost dead by midnight, it's still ready to go in the morning. So as long as I can keep a charge from 5 a.m. to midnight, I'm good.

0 Likes