Original topic:

How do I get a local IP number?

(Topic created: Friday)
Tamarind
Cosmic Ray
Options
I have a Samsung Android. My phone service is with ATT. For years, my IP number has been in California. I am 2,000 miles from there. I need a local IP number. How do I do that? ATT's customer service line was useless. 
9 Replies
Tamarind
Cosmic Ray
Options
Nope.
0 Likes
Tamarind
Cosmic Ray
Options
Not about a phone number
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options

You can get a VPN and switch to a server in your region. Your IP will show up as local.  Do you need a local IP for anything specific?  I need it when I travel out of the country, because my pharmacy app, won't load to a non-US IP, and if I visit websites, I get the page versions of where I am, instead of the U.S.

0 Likes
Tamarind
Cosmic Ray
Options
Do VPN's have an IP number in my state? It seemed to be by country.
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options

Depends on the VPN.  I do not believe they go state by state as much as they do by region (east, west, south).  So, if you are on the east coast now or the southeast, you would choose one of those servers and it will show that you are not in California.  

Other than that, you can inquire of AT&T whether they can route you through a local IP. Don't be surprised, though, if they tell you they can only do it by changing your number.  Your internet IP address will be determined by what/whose wi-fi you are connected to at any given time.  

Is it only that it bothers you to have a California IP address, or are certain apps or websites not working for you because the IP is "out of area" for them?

0 Likes
Tamarind
Cosmic Ray
Options
I'm in Hawaii. Some local businesses won't let me open up an account with a California IP number. They are suspicious. I am disabled and want to open up these accounts remotely. I don't use wifi. I use mobile data.
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

You should consider using wi-fi for these instances, since you don't want to change your number. You can see if AT&T has a bundled wi-fi package. Have you spoken to AT&T to see if it's possible to adjust your IP without changing your number? It doesn't hurt to ask.  I remember hearing, back in the dark ages, that the IP address had more to do with where you purchased your plan, not the area code itself; so maybe they can re-sign you up and "transfer" your number. They can transfer your service to Hawaii. You might consider switching carriers and porting your number over, that should give you a local IP, but if another carrier could do it, so can AT&T Hawaii.

0 Likes
Tamarind
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Thanks for responding
0 Likes
tony2024
Constellation
Options
Please help
0 Likes