JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Suspicious apps

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
sithdoge45
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Recently I made a post about phone being installed on my phone at random. I got Norton and deleted everything that looked suspicious. I was looking through the apps that Norton said were safe and I found a few that I was suspicious of. The main ones that I'm suspicious of are the cutout apps which I'm thinking could be RATs. I also can't find any of these in my apps. 

0 Likes
7 Replies
Teatotaler
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
For those of us that aren't techies, what are RATs and cutouts?
Thanks.
0 Likes
sithdoge45
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
A RAT is a remote access trojan. I looked up the names of the scanned Norton apps and I found that RATS disguise themselves as system files and usually have cutout in the name.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Even if that was so, Norton will still find it. It doesn't go by file name, it checks for code. I have 2 suggestions for you, stop rooting around in the system files if you don't know what things are and stop reading reddit.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Those look like sysyem apps that are part of editing tools. Why are you questioning the Norton results? Do you have reason to suspect they made an error? I doubt it. Just because *you* don't recognize a file or app doesn't mean it's malicious.
0 Likes
sithdoge45
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Usually when I search a file it pops right up and tells me what it does for my phone. When I searched these up, the results gave me enough worry to ask for outside support. This was the article I viewed https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/10/13/new-android-warning-these-15-malicious-apps-may-b...
0 Likes
Solution
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
But, Norton checked the code in the apps and deemed it safe. If you don't trust the result, find a different anti malware scanner and see what comes up. Try Malwarebytes. They have s fully functioning free version in the play store.
0 Likes
MandyMooBell
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
You may have got hacked through a loophole like i did. My ex has put cloned apps on my phone so he can control what i can see and do. Go to your apps, and pick one, click on 'see info in play store' (or whatever it says) 1 of 3 things will happen...1. Play store will open and you can get app info. 2. You will get error message. 3. There's no option to do so. #2 check app permissions click 3 dots top right of screen and select all permissions. And prepare to be shocked. I have a galaxy s20 & 23 and have found that apps like 'dev info' were a lifesaver. He had over 500 apps on my phone which then spread to ALL my devices. He claimed to be an app developer and cloned my phone, factory reset won't even work since his system apps are the ones that load at start up. Still dealing with it, I hadn't even driven my jeep in 7 months cuz the computer in it keeps telling me I'm overheating when it's not.
0 Likes