JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Apps on front Fold 5 screen

(Topic created: 10-27-2023 02:50 PM)
AJMike
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

I have almost finished setting up my new Fold 5, but have run into something on the front screen that I don't understand and wanted to ask about it. I am relatively new to Android so I am not surprised that I have run into questions that I don't know the answer to.

I have configured my main screen pretty much as I want it and was setting up the front screen when I noticed that I could not find an icon on the front screen pages that I installed on my main screen. I have looked very, very carefully on the front screen pages but the icon is just not there. However when I open the Fold 5 I can easily see the icon there. When I close the phone and open the App Store I am told that the app is already installed and, of course it is, but only appears on the main screen.

Are there some apps that are allowed on the main screen but not on the front screen? This is an app from a large credit union so I would think that it would be available on both screen, but it does not seem to be so. Is there something I am missing?

ALSO: The main screen is so large that it contains a lot of icons and moving an entire page's icons to clear the page for new icons is a real pain. Is there some way on the main screen to add a new page between two existing pages so I would not have to move all of the icons on, say, the second page to the end to clear that page for new icons? Or is there some way to take a new page at the end of the screens and move it where I want? Otherwise to set up a page for only specific icons means that I have to move everything off of the page and then move the proper icons to it. Just wondering and trying to save an hour of time ...

Thank you.

4 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@AJMike The front screen (small) and main screen (big) are separate entities. This allows you to configure them anyway that you want. If you want the front screen and main screen to be exactly alike, you need to go into phone settings -> Home screen and enable the "Cover home screen mirroring". This will ensure that everything on one screen is on the other screen. 

If you only want to get this one app on the front screen, do this:

1. Fold the phone
  2. Swipe up to go to the apps page(s)
  3. Locate the app you want on the front screen.
  4. Long press on that app's icon.
  5. On the dialog that appears, click on Add to home.
  6. The icon for that app will be added to the front screen. 
  7. Be aware that there can be multiple home pages on the front and main screen. You can swipe left/right to move between those home pages. You will probably find the icon added in step 6 by swiping left to get to the last home page on the front screen. 
  8. If you want to move that icon to the first page of the front screen, long press on that icon and drag to the left. Keep holding and the pages will keep jumping until you get to the first page. Then lift your finger.
AJMike
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Thank you for that. I did not realize you could swipe up and see all of the apps.

Do you also have any suggestions about adding an empty page between two pages filled with icons?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@AJMike "Do you also have any suggestions about adding an empty page between two pages filled with icons?"

I don't think that is possible automatically. You would need to create the new page and then, for example, move everything from page 2 to the new blank page 3. 

AJMike
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Ah. I did not know that I could select and move more than one icon at a time. I just tried moving an entire page and that worked, so that solved my second problem since I can easily just move all of the icons on a page, thus ending up with an empty page.

Thank you for the information. You ended up solving both of my issues.