JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Group texts can't be unmuted since update

(Topic created: 11-29-2023 06:13 PM)
JDP1
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Since Android 13 finally got pushed to me on November 9th, all of my group texts are muted, and I no longer have a working option to either unmute them or set a custom sound. Typically, I wouldn't have noticed this because I tend to mute group chats; however, I have a very ill, very beloved uncle. My family shares regular updates concerning his status in our group chat. I have to get these alerts in real-time. 🙏 Please help.

I have a Galaxy Fold 4 and am using Samsung Messages. I prefer Samsung Messages by far (before this issue), but I will have to switch to Google Messages if I can't resolve this quickly.

Here is what I've tried: 

Countless reboots, clearing cache, clearing app data, resetting all app preferences. I have done this multiple times in the past two days. 

Checked to make sure everything is updated, DND is not on, notifications allowed, the app can run in the background, data saver not on, etc. 

There are no issues with individual messages. For those, I still have the same option in the same place as it always has been to customize notifications or mute notifications. Those options are now gone for all my group texts, and the group texts appear to be muted by default, with no choice to unmute. 

I've done the whole "long press the group text, click Notification bell on the bottom left to mute/unmute," but even when I click it to unmute, it does not. 

The custom notification sound option, typically in the More menu, no longer exists for my group texts. 

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I have Googled for hours unsuccessfully.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Treetop56
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Those options are no longer available with Samsung Message app.

View solution in context

0 Likes
10 Replies
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Are you using Samsung messages?
0 Likes
JDP1
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Yes
0 Likes
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Try using Google messages as your default, I've had this issue in the past, but since the switch, it has been a lot easier! Let me know what you think
0 Likes
JDP1
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I don't care for Google Messages. I will switch to it if I have no choice but I cannot imagine there isn't a solution for this. Fingers crossed 🤞
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
OH! ALSO, when you do this, you can edit notifications. Tap the chat you want to edit, tap the three dot icon on the top right < group details < notifications, and you can mute, alert, or make a priority! Also, 🤞my fingers are crossed for you! Lol
0 Likes
JDP1
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Yeah, that is the usual process. But when I click the three dots, these are my only options for group texts now. And the "customize chat room" option is just for changing the background, etc.
I appreciate you trying to figure it out!1701314296909.jpg
0 Likes
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
The thingy I was explaining was for Google messages 😵💫
0 Likes
JDP1
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Oh, gotcha. I know it works in Google Messages, but it used to work in Samsung Messages, too, until a few weeks ago when my phone updated. 🙁

These are the options I still have for individual messages that I should still have for group texts.

I was hoping I would not have to switch Messages apps.1701315066881.jpg
Phillymade8624
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I just got an Ultra 23 and also noticed I could not silence one message. After fooling around on it I found this:
1) Open group message.
2) Click on 3 dots upper right.
3) Click on group details.
4) Click on Notifications.
5) Choose silent.
This should only change the notification for this text.
0 Likes