JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Z Fold 4 Holder and Mount Ideas

(Topic created: 06-18-2023 07:48 PM)
AbiliTV_Live
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Fold

I have been a Samsung user since the old school flip phone. In the Era of making everything from the screen to the keys as tiny as possible. Then smartphones came along. The first thing I asked was will a 7 inch tablet would work as a phone. I got laughed at. How would you answer it? As the sales person mocks me holding it to their face. 

I asked for the earbuds that come with the phone or tablet. I pointed out the this provides in ear audio, that tiny hole is a mic and no need to hold a awkward device to your face, when you have these on. 

Now look at where we are. Multiple Note series phones later, always made fun of for having a larger phone.

Enter Z Fold 4 and it us still not what I want yet. But is much closer now than ever. I am not interested so much in a thin or lightweight experience. I come from the days of pocket transistor radios, boomboxes, and phones with spin dials and tails. Portable TV's that only plugged in. 

Now let's talk about these images. This is my fourth or fifth iteration of this idea. Each time it gets more refined and much more user friendly. 

I used the original Z Fold 4 box for this. I got the combo Samsung stand with pen case. A little 3M VHB tape later with the pen between the stand section and the lens it stays on the case at the same time now. Not that the sad little stand helps. 

The box allows you to use most any case you like without removal. I don't trust these poorly designed cases to actually protect this device. The front screen case piece falls off mine. Installed brand new, clean install. 30 or so minutes and it starts to fall off. Not sure how that would handle impact. 

The front screen the one that really makes this device shine. Has almost zero edge protection. Every case maker shows the awesome protection for the front screen. Yet when you open it up due to the design there is hardly any protection. 2mm forehead, chin, and side edge protection is not much. 

It is possible to provide this protection and more with what I call offset surround edge protection. 

I have experimented with different heights for the front screen. All of them remain pretty easy to use, with this current design the slimmest yet. 

On the right side where the buttons are is a space to allow your finger to slide in and use them. While the area remains fully protected from drops. Top and bottom. 

Using small plastic pieces I created simple but highly effective sound baffles that bend the sound to the front or large screen. 

Same idea for microphones. No lost sound and or no being unheard. 

I have seen the cute gamer style designs. They are nice. But I don't game really on this enough to warrant one of those. 

Also I prefer to use that large screen 95% of the time. 

The USB port is also protected yet easy to access.

Using duct tape, a layer of foil reinforced tape so the cardboard doesn't fail, and one last decorative layer of black duct tape. On the too and bottom right corners are small bungee cords to keep the hinged on the left frame in place. 

No the phone can not fit through the opening to just fall out. 

All 100% of the screen remains accessible to your fingers.

Even the edges. 

Yes my prototype here is ugly. But I am thinking if you own a 3D printer feel welcome to be inspired by this idea. 

Also ever accidentally press something with another part of your hands on the larger screen? Thanks to that tiny bezel design. 

This provides a nice place for your hands so your thumbs are perfectly placed where you need them. More ergonomic if you ask me. 

The other pictures show the RAM Mount I have on my wheelchair leg. The base is from the X Mount by Ram Mounts. The plastic thing on it is a Defender Pro Note 9 case shell. It spring loads into another Defender Pro case that is on the bottom of the other half of the Z Fold 4 box. 

Oh. That green mark shows how the box has room for the S Pen in its case. No need to give it up. This opens so easily that you can go typical case mode and get the poem out and use it that way or put the phone back in and use the pen that way also. Don't leave it out when done however. 

So the box that holds the phone fits into the other half keeping it face up for my use while in my wheelchair. 

This allows for easy install and removal. 

I would imagine someone 3D Printing what I call Mount adaptors for these devices would likely find a decent market. Design them to work with the nicer mount makers. 

Can even incorporate a sturdy kickstand that allows support from vertical to horizontal without issue. 

I do have another idea to add to this, only ai can't find anything small enough to work for it yet. 

Imagine you drop your Z Fold 4 wide open. And like me you have objects beneath it that will hit the screen first. Kiss your device goodbye. 

I had my Note 9 for years and dropped it once over my foot rest. Those curvy side edges fully exposed. The Defender Pro case saved it everywhere else when dropped. I mean thousands of times over flat surfaces. 

Hits my footrest right on the edge and destroys the screen response underneath. And in 2 days the rest of the screen stopped responding to touch. Also started to do this weird glitching until brightness was turned all the way down. 

When I removed the phone from the case that drop maybe 2 feet also shattered the black caused to batter to swell up and push off thr back. 

That is the level of protection I feel these devices have. 

So my idea is a spring coiled flap that you pull back with your left hand and it neatly tucks out of the way. 

The moment you drop the phone this coiled flap springs to cover the front display protecting the screen from direct impact. No batteries, no fancy gyroscope, or anything else to break or fail. Just as soon as your left hand leaves the side - fwoosh! Screen protected.

I am old school 3D printing here as in I use my someday piles to pull parts from and make things. You youngsters can show me how it's done using today's 3D printers. 

The fun part is these can be in any color. Boring black or gray not needed. As it is I can get red duct tape.

The screen flap can be a cool design, clear, or a contrasting color. 

The idea is shared freely. 

AbiliTV Live

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Fold

Thank you for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.