Original topic:

[SOLVED] S Pen Dead Zone after One UI 2.0/Android 10 Update

(Topic created: 04-13-2020 02:35 PM)
userhnU2AkSxTI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

[SOLVED] 

I've updated this post with a comment marked as the solution. You may read the original post below which contains details on the issue, which has now been resolved.

-----Original Post-----

Does anyone have this issue? Please feel free to test this out on your Note 10 device.

I’m currently using an unlocked Note 10 plus. I’ve had this problem for a few days, immediately after updating.

I’ve noticed that certain configurations for gestures and hints create a “dead zone” with unresponsive input from the S Pen in the bottom right corner of my device. This problem did not exist before the One UI 2.0/Android 10 update, so it is definitely a software issue and not the hardware.

Here’s the setup where I noticed the problem:

Settings > Display > Navigation bar > Full screen gestures

-Gesture Hints [Off], -/+Show button to hide keyboard [On or Off], +Block gestures with S Pen [On]

Button order: [Recent apps], [Home], [Back]

Next, in the Samsung Internet app (for this example), attempting to select the ‘Tools’ icon (menu icon with three bars) in the bottom right corner, requires multiple taps to make the selection. In other apps I’ve noticed the bottom right corner, with this setup of gestures, results in the same “dead zone” for the S Pen, requiring multiple taps (in various spots within that zone) to make a successful selection.

Using a different button order does not (always) work*. However, enabling gesture hints or a full navigation bar with buttons at the bottom seems to temporarily resolve the issue (since these push content on the screen upward). I prefer using full screen gestures without hints in addition to using the S Pen for other tasks that utilize that area of the screen, but I can’t do that with this new bug from the update. Touch input works normally as excepted.

I’ve tried multiple ways to resolve this, including:

• Reset the S Pen
  • Format my device completely to a factory default state (twice within one week)
  • Wipe the cache partition (after each format/factory restore)
  • Toggle various settings on and off [touch sensitivity, air gestures, allow multiple S Pens]
  • Test in Safe Mode (the area is still unresponsive)

None of the above worked, the problem is still there. I do not have a case with any magnets, I am using a screen protector (Whitestone Dome), and I’ve tried other S Pens and compatible styluses in the same spot with no success. Again, the input from the S Pen worked perfectly before the One UI 2.0/Android 10 update.

*Sometimes it works (depending on where I tap the screen), sometimes it doesn’t. When it does work (after switching the navigation gesture type, toggling hints and swapping the button order many times), as soon as I lock and unlock the device, that area of the screen stops working again.

Any suggestions to fix this at the moment? Could a future update resolve this?

[This issue has been resolved with a recent update].

11 Replies
userrqzxhzeBAX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I've the same problem.

The trouble come from my phone cover.

When the magnet of the cover is under the phone it make a dead zone using the Spen. 

Hope it can help you.

0 Likes
Solution
userhnU2AkSxTI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Just wanted to provide a quick update to this post for anyone that may have been following along or waiting. Hopefully I was not premature in marking this issue as solved, but the issue mentioned in my original post appears to be fixed with the new One UI 2.1 Update (April 2020).

The bottom right corner of the screen now responds to the S Pen’s input and no longer requires multiple taps to register with full screen gestures enabled. Changing the button order, switching navigation type (full bar with buttons or full screen gestures), restarting or locking the device, no longer causes that area of the screen to spontaneously ignore the S Pen input in the bottom right corner in the off chance that it managed to work for a short period of time.

So, again, that’s the software version/build number ending in “3CTC9” with the April 1st, 2020 security patch level, for the Note 10 (plus). I was hoping the March update would solve it, but it did not. The April update, along with One UI 2.1, has solved the problem.

I did the same test mentioned in my original post with the Samsung Internet app and other apps with an interface that uses that corner of the screen, and the S Pen is responsive once again.

Thank you to everyone who provided suggestions.