Original topic:

Ring step count is highly inaccurate

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
Trankster
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Ring

I have had the Ring for about a month now and notice that the step count is consistenly 10% or more higher than may Garmin Venu watch in a day.  Yesterday, I walked 3 miles and then moved normally around my house for the rest of the day.  The Ring showed more than 26,000 steps for the day!  My Garmin watch reported 9,900 steps.  I did have my phone (Samsung 24 Ultra) in my pocket during the walk.  All other functions on the Ring seem to be reasonable, but the step count is disappointing to me.  I find no options to adjust the sensitivity of the step counter.  What do you suggest to obtain more accurate steps?    miketrank@yahoo.com

0 Likes
4 Replies
Options
Galaxy Ring
I don't have a ring, so this is just a totally thrown out there thought. I wonder if the ring is also counting each arm swing as a step along with actual steps...since it's probably sensing the arm swing as movement, too. Or even any time you move that arm..scratch your nose, etc.
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Ring
Use the ring on your non dominant hand, its picking up additional movements and counting it as a step. Gen 1 issues, early smart watches did the same thing.
Trankster
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Ring

I moved the Ring to my index finger on my non-dominant hand.  So far, by mid-afternoon I have over 7,000 steps inside my home on a "lazy" Sunday.  I really hope Samsung adds a setting to adjust the sensitivity or better yet a firmware update to improve steps accuracy.  I will wear my reliable Garmin watch for hiking, biking and other more serious activities.

0 Likes
Trankster
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Ring

The step tracking is still very high (at least 2X actual steps) on my non-dominant hand.  The ring needs a firmware update to correct the step counter.   

0 Likes