JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to turn off icon frames?

(Topic created: 03-14-2019 08:55 PM)
pjniez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm loving my Galaxy S10+ and I'm really liking the Samsung One UI. In fact, this is there first phone in which I haven't immediately switched to Nova launcher! However, I can't stand how the phone is putting frames around all of my icons - even on the icons of the non-Samsung apps. Some of them look ridiculous with the frames! Is there a way to turn off the icon frames if third party apps? If so, how???

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @pjniez, there is no direct way to do this. What you can do to accomplish this is download a third party app from the Google Play Store called QuickShortcutMaker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut)

Install that, open it up and type in the search bar: Icon frames

One app should now be listed, the settings app. Click on it to drop down two options. Click the first on the drop down, the one labeled "icon frames." Next, press "try." You can now turn them off.

I've attached an image for reference purposes.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in context

19 Replies
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey @pjniez, there is no direct way to do this. What you can do to accomplish this is download a third party app from the Google Play Store called QuickShortcutMaker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut)

Install that, open it up and type in the search bar: Icon frames

One app should now be listed, the settings app. Click on it to drop down two options. Click the first on the drop down, the one labeled "icon frames." Next, press "try." You can now turn them off.

I've attached an image for reference purposes.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
Vision128
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The app didn't work for me. This was available in older software versions, but the brilliant minds over at Google decided it was no longer necessary. 

uservORRduMtCU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Agree says can't be found....retry

userLthf0ekSYn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for this!  It did remove some of the horrible Icon Frames, but not all of them.  Still, some is a lot better than none!  Thanks!  I wish they'd just put the old setting back though!

Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanks, but it did not work for me. S10 android 10.0 latest updates. I hate the icon frames, adds colors to icons that could be transparent. I want the look of my old S7 with no icon frams.

user32lpx1Cg0x
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Btw this no longer works. Quickshortcutmaker does not find the icon frames setting. 

pjniez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi Rydah,

Your suggestion worked! Thank you very much!

It would be nice if there was an option to turn off icon frames built into the OS/UI though... Hopefully Samsung can give us this option on a future update!

But, for now, I'll continue to use QuickShortcutMaker as you suggested.

Thanks again!

Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I completely agree, this setting should not be hidden. since I went ahead and solved your problem can you go ahead and Mark my last post as the solution? It will help others with the same question find an answer quickly. Have a good one!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

user4K0xS7ZX07
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@pjniez What's ridiculous is Samsung DID have this feature built in previously. I was able to remove the icon frames under Display in settings on all my previous Samsung devices. I don't know why they'd take that away 🙄