Original topic:

No compass bearing/direction metadata in photos

(Topic created: 08-14-2023 03:45 PM)
interail
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello friends,

Writing first time here, thank you in advance for your help...

So, I have an S20 FE 5G and it is impossible the samsung camera app to write compass bearing (direction) metadata in the exif tags of photos. I have the same problem with Geo Tracker app which does not keep  any direction data in the gpx files it produces...

I hae already calibrated the compass which seems to work properly (also in GPS Test app).

So my photos contain only geographical coordinates about the location they have been taken but not the direction they have been taken. By the way only by using the Timestamp Camea Free app the jpgs made by my phone contain also compass (direction) info/tag.

Any ideas? Is my phone faulty? 

thanx again

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I wish I had better news in that regard! 😞 Nevertheless, if I've resolved your concern, please make sure to hit accept as solution (three dots) so that other Community Members wondering about directional metadata in the native camera app can be better informed and can find the right app that works for them!

View solution in context

0 Likes
5 Replies
Sun
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Maybe I am missing something. If you have latitude and longitude you do not need a compass direction. Do you want the compass direction to indicate which way the camera was pointing?
0 Likes
interail
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Exactly, I need also along with gps coordinates to know the direction of the photo. I have seen this working in iphone 11 for example

interail
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Like it is in the aforementioned "Timestamp Camea Free" app. Thank you very much for your helpful reply, since you are sure that native camera app does not support this function.

Now I start looking a gps tracker app to make gpx files and take the compass bearing data from there with lightroom and attach the in photos exif data. However the -really very convenient and full of features- Geo Tracker app logs only the gps info and not the compass one 😞

Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I wish I had better news in that regard! 😞 Nevertheless, if I've resolved your concern, please make sure to hit accept as solution (three dots) so that other Community Members wondering about directional metadata in the native camera app can be better informed and can find the right app that works for them!

0 Likes
interail
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thanx again. Sorry for my delay in the accepting solution as it was my first time in such a forum and didn't know this practice till you inform me...