Original topic:

Phone making a random notification sound with no notifications

(Topic created: 02-19-2023 06:43 PM)
userVfLYLeUQvE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi everyone,

I wonder if this community can help me! I have had my Samsung galaxy S8 for several years and I love it. It's always on silent mode and so never makes a sound unless I'm playing multimedia or it vibrates lightly when I get a call. But recently something must have changed. Several times a day the phone makes a sound like a notification alert. Everytime it does it I go into notifications trying to track down the culprit but there is never any log of recent notifications. I've checked in exceptions too and nothing. I also checked the card payment feature as I heard that can cause sounds and I do keep my debit card in my phone case but that was turned off and I tested by taking my card out of the case and it still makes the sound occasionally. Multimedia volume is on (and I want to keep it that way as I am sure the sound will go away if I reduce this volume but that's a workaround and I need to find the source of this sound!) All other volumes (Bixby, call, notifications, system) are at zero. I'm at my wits end you guys! Does anyone know how I might be able to find out what's causing this mystery sound? Thanks in advance! 🙂

14 Replies
Solution
userVNKskDFw9R
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's happened to us a few times after Amber Alerts & other Emergency Alerts.  (Samsung and non-Samsung)

Look in your active SMS app settings, usually under Advanced, for "Wireless Emergency Alerts" or something close.

Should be an option "Alert Reminder" that's set to 2 minutes by default.

Hope this helps, if not, good luck.  I understand how annoying it can be. We had 4 phones doing it for half a day. 1 was a Samsung.

weaselchops
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

OMG!!! Thank you so much! It has been driving me mad since I got my Fold 4 in October!

I had to put it on silent and no vibration!.

Found the setting under Safety and Emergency!

Thank you again!!!!

MiTxGirl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I keep getting a random sound (sounds like the 3 note NBC gong).
It isn't even an option for a notification sound so I don't know where it's coming from. Any ideas?

Options
Galaxy S Phones
Download good lock and then download nice catch from it. I had to use it since i had the same problem as you. I saw that those notifications were from android system.
0 Likes
scaddenp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem. Nothing with Nice Catch/Good lock nor notification history. S10e. Tried all suggestions above to no avail. I dont get the sound in Safe Mode however. Tried uninstalling anything that had been installed or updated since this started about a month or so ago. Still nothing.