JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S10E can sign in to 'guest 2.4ghz' but not 'regular' 2.4ghz

(Topic created: 03-21-2022 07:13 AM)
jg1116
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This has only become a problem of late which originally led me to think it may be some app update interference but safe mode on and same problem.

Phone S10E, operating system and all apps updated

Router Linksys EA8100

Can sign in to 5ghz and to guest 2.4ghz and also to guest 5ghz, no problem

Signing in to 2.4ghz I usually get Connection Failed or Cannot Connect to Network, though at times the connection takes place. It will take place after repeated manual attempts and once connected and if I leave router range and return, it will resume 2.4ghz connection.

Other devices in the house are connected to 2.4ghz without issue

Tried unplugging/rebooting the router. 

Tried turning airplane mode on and off

Tried forget network

Tried reset network settings

Tried wipe cache partition

Tried setting IP settings to static

Tried setting MAC address type to phone MAC

Tried clearing data and cache of 'wifi direct'

Checked router firmware for current

Tried previous version of router firmware

Have tried manual sign-in a foot away from the router thinking there was some signal issue, no luck.

I can use guest 2.4ghz but the 'why' of the issue is bugging me.

Is there something else to try or is this an indication that the phone hardware is the issue?

Any help or suggestions, much appreciated.
Thanks

7 Replies
GreasyMeatball25
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I'd recommend disabling the guest 2.4 GHz connection. You've practically completed all of the physical troubleshooting; you could also try and add the S10E's IP Address to the guest connections blocked IP settings and revoke its access entirely. That may prevent the redundant connectivities. If that doesn't work we can explore other avenues, as well.
0 Likes
jg1116
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Well actually I only just enabled Guest network as a test to see if the phone would connect to Guest 2.4ghz, which it does. Typically, I do not have Guest network enabled. This problem arose before I enabled the Guest network. And it's bugging me! lol 

Thanks for the reply!

GreasyMeatball25
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I hear ya man! Good luck to ya. I'll keep digging
0 Likes
GreasyMeatball25
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Have you tried enabling/disabling the IPv6 protocol on both frequencies then try to reconnect?
0 Likes
jg1116
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Had not but just gave that a try. Didn't work.

I just reset the router to factory default then restore, nope.

Is my phone gone weirdly bad? Not seeing how guest 2.4 connects but regular 2.4 gives me a hard time.

Thanks for the suggestion(s), appreciate the help.

0 Likes
jg1116
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Okay, here's an update. 

I reset the router to factory. Keeping it at factory and using the supplied network password, I can connect to 2.4 and 5. The plot thickens.

0 Likes
Solution
jg1116
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Well, admittedly I know almost nothing about the magic of technology. I employ Google and poke and hope. Long story short, for whatever reason here's what worked.

I reset the router to factory settings. I renamed the 2.4 and 5ghz networks to something new. I replaced the factory password with something I can remember. 

And that worked. 2.4 now easily accessible from my phone as well as 5ghz.

A stretch to call the above a 'solution' but I guess if the problem has ended, it is a solution. Thanks to all who tried to help.