JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S7 handset with keyboard cover EJ-CG930 / EJ-CG930UBEGUS unexpected behavior

(Topic created: 02-09-2024 11:23 AM)
wb0gaz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy S7 handset (SM-G930A) for several years, equipped with a snap-on QWERTY keyboard cover type number

EJ-CG930 / EJ-CG930UBEGUS

which is described on a samsung web page which I evidently cannot insert into this posting.

A few months ago my S7 was destroyed in a fall, however, the keyboard cover survived. I replaced the S7 with another of the same type (purchased used), however, this handset has stability problems (unexpected sensing of keyboard cover contacts), particularly when the handset is in a horizontal (lying on it's back) position.

I realize both the handset and keyboard cover are long out of production, however, I do not intend to type/swipe/etc. on glass, and the S7 and cover have proven for a long time to be a good solution (that is, until the handset was replaced.)

If you have any experience with this combination and troubleshooting a problem such as I describe, I'd very grateful for ideas or requests for clarifying information.

I do not intend to replace the handset with another model until sunset of 4G network capability in US.

I do not intend to migrate away from use of a physical QWERTY keyboard.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
geek1
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing stability issues with your Samsung Galaxy S7 and the snap-on QWERTY keyboard cover. Since both the handset and the keyboard cover are no longer in production, troubleshooting might involve some trial and error. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Clean Contacts: Ensure that the contacts on both the phone and the keyboard cover are clean and free from debris. Use a gentle, lint-free cloth to wipe the contacts on both the phone and the keyboard cover.

2. Re-seat the Keyboard Cover: Make sure the keyboard cover is securely snapped onto the phone. Try removing it and reattaching it to ensure a proper connection.

3. Inspect for Physical Damage: Examine the contacts on both the phone and the keyboard cover for any signs of physical damage. If you notice any bent or damaged pins, it could be causing connectivity issues.

4. Software Update: Ensure that your Galaxy S7 is running the latest available software. Sometimes, software updates can include bug fixes and improvements that may address compatibility issues.

5. Safe Mode: Boot your Galaxy S7 in Safe Mode to check if the stability issues persist. If the problems are reduced or eliminated in Safe Mode, it might indicate that a third-party app is causing the interference. You can then uninstall apps one by one to identify the culprit.

6. Factory Reset: As a last resort, you may consider performing a factory reset on your Galaxy S7. Make sure to back up your important data before doing so, as this will erase all data on your phone. After the reset, set up the phone with the keyboard cover and observe if the stability issues persist.

7. Contact Samsung Support: If the problems persist after trying the above steps, it's advisable to contact Samsung Support. They may be able to provide more specific guidance or offer repair options.

Given that both the phone and the keyboard cover are no longer in production, finding replacement parts might be challenging. If the stability issues persist and you're unable to find a satisfactory solution, you might need to consider exploring alternative keyboard options or consider using an external Bluetooth keyboard that is compatible with your Galaxy S7.

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
Solution
geek1
Halo
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing stability issues with your Samsung Galaxy S7 and the snap-on QWERTY keyboard cover. Since both the handset and the keyboard cover are no longer in production, troubleshooting might involve some trial and error. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Clean Contacts: Ensure that the contacts on both the phone and the keyboard cover are clean and free from debris. Use a gentle, lint-free cloth to wipe the contacts on both the phone and the keyboard cover.

2. Re-seat the Keyboard Cover: Make sure the keyboard cover is securely snapped onto the phone. Try removing it and reattaching it to ensure a proper connection.

3. Inspect for Physical Damage: Examine the contacts on both the phone and the keyboard cover for any signs of physical damage. If you notice any bent or damaged pins, it could be causing connectivity issues.

4. Software Update: Ensure that your Galaxy S7 is running the latest available software. Sometimes, software updates can include bug fixes and improvements that may address compatibility issues.

5. Safe Mode: Boot your Galaxy S7 in Safe Mode to check if the stability issues persist. If the problems are reduced or eliminated in Safe Mode, it might indicate that a third-party app is causing the interference. You can then uninstall apps one by one to identify the culprit.

6. Factory Reset: As a last resort, you may consider performing a factory reset on your Galaxy S7. Make sure to back up your important data before doing so, as this will erase all data on your phone. After the reset, set up the phone with the keyboard cover and observe if the stability issues persist.

7. Contact Samsung Support: If the problems persist after trying the above steps, it's advisable to contact Samsung Support. They may be able to provide more specific guidance or offer repair options.

Given that both the phone and the keyboard cover are no longer in production, finding replacement parts might be challenging. If the stability issues persist and you're unable to find a satisfactory solution, you might need to consider exploring alternative keyboard options or consider using an external Bluetooth keyboard that is compatible with your Galaxy S7.

0 Likes
wb0gaz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for the very large amount of helpful detail!

I had not considered that the keyboard cover/case itself may have been damaged in the same fall; I have started a search for a replacement device. Your maintenance suggestions are appreciated, and give me some tasks to complete.

Thank you again

wb0gaz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you again for the detailed advice.

It turns out that the keyboard cover I was using (about which I made the original post) was also damaged in the fall that destroyed the original S7 handset. While the keyboard cover was mostly functional, it was emitting some indications (in particular in response to the Alt key) that the handset's firmware was interpreting in unexpected ways, making use frustrating and difficult.

I was able to locate a replacement keyboard cover, and the abnormal behavior is no longer present.

Thank you again for your very helpful advice!