Original topic:

Best way to transfer data and setting

(Topic created: 12-16-2022 08:53 AM)
usertRFNTcVfeX
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi

I am getting a replacement phone Galaxy S20 + 5G for my defective one. I have a few questions that possibly someone can help me with.

1. What is the best way to transfer data, settings, settings, contact, etc from my old phone to the new one ? Using Samsung Switch or the Samsung backup. 

2. Should I run the phone update prior to importing the data etc or after?

3. I do have some programs stored on my SD card. How does that switch over? Not the card, but the software on it. 

Anything else I need to be aware of or need to do?

Greatly appreciate your time and efforts

Thanks in advance

2 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@usertRFNTcVfeX Using Samsung Smart Switch is super easy and does a great job. 

To do it, you just start Smart Switch on both devices. On one you would pick to send data and on the other you would pick to receive data. Then it prompts you to connect them via cable or wirelessly (have to be on the same Wifi network). 

Normally Smart Switch doesn't copy SD card contents, but when you are asked what you want to copy, click Custom and choose SD card contents. **WARNING: Since you may have a very large capacity SD card, make sure that you have enough memory on your new phone for all of that info. 

Solution
SMCSilverFox2022
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've recently done something similar. Samsung Switch worked well. That was from an S7 Edge to an S20 5G.

Not all the Apps carried over but 60+ did, seamlessly. I'd also taken a back up using Google's Android Back Up but given how good Samsung Switch was, I just downloaded the missing 4 or 5 Apps from Play Store.  IIFC Maildroid didn't carry forward automatically nor did Ski Tracks, a Skiing App, so I lost my personal best time from 2021.  Otherwise it went well.  All my Photos and Videos were stored on a SD card, so I just physically moved the card. Previously I've not had great success storing Apps on an SD card, some I found to be a bit laggy. And with my limited IT needs, the S20's RAM is more than enough for me. So I won't be storing Aps on the SD card.