JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Loose charging port on S20FE

(Topic created: 10-17-2022 08:03 AM)
kimb4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I've had my phone about a year and a half, and recently the charging port has become really loose.  I need to insert the charging cord really carefully (sometimes trying a bunch of times until I get it just right), then make sure I set down the phone super gently so it keeps charging.  And if it gets bumped at all, it usually will just stop charging.  This is incredibly frustrating and I'm worried that one of these times it just won't charge at all and I'll be without a phone.  Might I need a new charging cable, or is there something wrong with the phone itself?  Is there something that I can do at home by myself to try to fix it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
kimb4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I just got a new cable today and that seems to have solved the problem.  Thanks so much for the help everyone!

View solution in context

8 Replies
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S20
For some phones, the is a Samsung charging port replacement kit. Call an authorized service center and check with them.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
What exactly are you calling a "charging port"? I ask this because if it is the charging port end on the phone, that wouldn't be fixed by changing the cable. However, if the part that is loose is the cable end, then surely changing the charging cable will be the solution. You can now find type C USB cables at your local Dollar Tree.
0 Likes
kimb4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks for the response.  I'm talking about the port on the phone.  When I insert the cable, it jiggles around and there's a lot of "play" in how it fits in there.  I have a type C USB cable headphone adapter that I also use that has some play, but it doesn't seem to have as much as the charging cable.  And I don't have the same issues with that cable (i.e. the sound on my headphones never cuts in and out when I'm using them and I don't need to be cautious with how I hold the phone).

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20
I see, so maybe if you try changing the charging cable may help. Otherwise, you may need to get the phone serviced.
0 Likes
kimb4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks.  I'll order a new cable and see if that works any better.  Fingers crossed...

Options
Galaxy S20
I went on Google and I did a search on loose charging ports. They do suggest to make sure the port is clean and clear of any debris. Any cleaning should be done while the phone is off and being careful not to damage anything. Good luck.
0 Likes
Solution
kimb4
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20

I just got a new cable today and that seems to have solved the problem.  Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Clkramer
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Same phone s20 980 new out of the box purchased from Samsung the type data cable was lose gas station ctype ones that fit good don't charge the phone ran to vzw store purcashed USB ctype for 5 months worked fine now 13 months old I have purchased hundreds of dollars in stupid cables that just fall out or don't charge... Can't carry around wireless charger in car to work etc never kept in pocket I used jewelry loop to see in port its clear no nicks in the male receiver part up in there this is by far been the most aggravating waist of $900 I have ever spent any other ideas best buy and Samsung are clueless...also night vision cam is completely black...
0 Likes