JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Phone purchased at Verizon now with Consumer Cellular and Wifi Calling Option MISSING

(Topic created: 03-13-2024 01:20 AM)
Options
Galaxy S20

Just moved to Consumer Cellular, all functions are working well EXCEPT the WIFI Calling option in the Connections menu is MISSING.  I have spent 4 hours on the phone with Consumer Cellular and they are saying Wifi Calling is support and turned in their system

Is there a firmware upgrade that can be done to my phone to get WIFI calling to work, I need it at my house because I live in a low area and only one spot in my house has reception 

The phone has all the updates done, no non-authorized apps are running and the phone is unlocked

I have one warning message saying "Sim Card is not from Verizon"   other than that the phone is working fine.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Galaxy S20

I am on Consumer Cellular and using ATT.   Clearly Verizon and ATT hate each other and make it impossible to swtich without hurting the consumer.   I will close this problem just because there is no soluation possible

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 Replies
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20
Consumer Cellular uses Verizon network for their services but it appears your phone is still locked to Verizon. That's why you don't have access to all calling features. Wifi calling and other cellular services are provided and managed by your carrier.

If you have paid off the phone, request a network unlock from Verizon. Once it's done, you should not see the SIM error message. You should have Wifi calling enabled as well if supported by Consumer Cellular.

Firmware update will not enable this feature. Phone needs to be unlocked by Verizon if paid off so you can use it with other carriers. Again, it works now because Consumer Cellular is on Verizon's network.
Options
Galaxy S20
All your statements are false aorsing to Verizon
0 Likes
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20
If you have a sim card from another carrier other than Verizon or its MVNO, put it in the phone. If it works, the phone is network unlocked. I am not sure if you're telling me Consumer Cellular doesn't use Verizon network or that a firmware update will not resolve the issue. As long as Verizon firmware is on the phone, not all services from another carrier will work.

They make it harder to switch providers unless you know what you are doing, so you stay with them. Good luck with resolving it.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20

I called Verizon and they said the phones are unlocked on their end.    They said a factory reset may work, is that all that we can do, or is there anything else easier

0 Likes
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S20
If you still see the SIM error message, it is not unlocked. Restart first, and if the error is still there, they are hoping you return to them.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20

I did restart it and the SIM error is still there.   Now what   I own the phone and don't want to buy a new one, will a factory reset work?

0 Likes
Solution
Options
Galaxy S20

I am on Consumer Cellular and using ATT.   Clearly Verizon and ATT hate each other and make it impossible to swtich without hurting the consumer.   I will close this problem just because there is no soluation possible

0 Likes
userMDq4wd65so
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

I have the same problem, except I moved from T-Mobile to Consumer Cellular. I've been on the phone several times with Consumer Cellular to no avail. They suggested a network reset, but it changed nothing. I do still get the T-Mobile splash screen when I restart the phone. Will a factory reset change that?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S20

In all my research I have found that a phone reset nor a phone back to factory settings, neither will help the problem.  It has to do with the firmware on the system and unless that is changed to emulate an ATT phone it will not work

0 Likes