Original topic:

USB-C to USB-C DAC Not Working

(Topic created: 07-18-2022 07:37 AM)
useryYxdhFqg6a
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Hi,

I have a USB C based DAC. I just tried plugging my new S20 FE into it via a USB-C to USB-C, cable, it did nothing. Tried it via an OTG cable + USB A to C cable, and it was finally detected.

So it was the cable, right? Well, no, cause that cable worked on an S20 FE my sister bought a week before mine, and it worked with both an A50, an old Motorola phone I have, and an PC.

I have multiple USB-C to USB-C cables, none worked with my S20, but all worked with my sisters. Should I RMA the phone?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ItzUrEditor
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Once your battery is Optimized, scroll down to Diagnostics and click it, you shall be introduced to 24 systems to test. Your having trouble with your charging, so scroll down and look for "Cable-Charging", once you found that... Go head and test that. After that, your problem should be solved. šŸ‘

View solution in context

4 Replies
ItzUrEditor
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Yes you should, but before you do that, open the app (Device Care) and Optinize your battery because it'll tell you what's wrong with the phone battery.šŸ‘
0 Likes
Solution
ItzUrEditor
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Once your battery is Optimized, scroll down to Diagnostics and click it, you shall be introduced to 24 systems to test. Your having trouble with your charging, so scroll down and look for "Cable-Charging", once you found that... Go head and test that. After that, your problem should be solved. šŸ‘
useryYxdhFqg6a
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20

Thanks, this actually helped me diagnose the issue.

Samsung seems to have REALLY dropped the bar with their USB-C implementation.  The DAC works, but is both side AND orientation aware, like an USB-A to Micro-B cable. Phone works in literally only one of the 4 ways the cable can be plugged in.

Tested again on my sisters phone, seems I just got "lucky" the first time I plugged it in her phone, it act exactly the same, only one side out of 4 works.

Tested to see if my PC or older phone do this too, and they dont. Old phone is USB 2, while PC is 3.2 (10GBS). I dont get this, why the  my old Motorola is doing this better than a flagship. I would get if it was an USB 3 issue, but my PC had no issue with it's Type-C USB 3 port. And for some reason, using an OTG with a normal A to C cable completely removes the issue.

ItzUrEditor
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
Yes, I understand. I always have a Wireless charger beside me because my USB-C could give out. Well, I'm glad I solved your proble. Have a great day.