Original topic:

Both my S21 and laptop have my location wrong. Can you help me with that?

(Topic created: a week ago)
slamina
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
T-Mobile said it wasn't their problem and would be in my settings but I have no idea where to start. I'm 65 and not good at this technology. But giving my location out of state is causing inability to interact with some websites that are important to me. Where do I start? Thanks
7 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@slamina What laptop do you have?

I would guess that both devices are probably getting the wrong location information from your Wifi. Assuming that both devices are connected to your wifi. 

0 Likes
userYGUZACH1eU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm using a Samsung Chromebook but I do have a Microsoft laptop also

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

The phones get their location info from Google maps.  So, first make sure your location is showing properly in Google Maps.  If it is not, you need to calibrate the compass.  Click on your blue locator dot and when the screen slides up, choose calibrate.  If your location (where you *know* you are) is still not correct, you have to contact Google to set it right.  I am not sure how to correct the location on the computer, since mine has always been more or less accurate.  

Found this for your computer: Setting location accuracy 

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@realaud The phones get location info from several sources. If they have a good GPS signal, that will be one source. If they are cellular, they get location and time information from the local cell tower. If they have poor GPS signal and not on cellular they will interrogate wifi and nearby devices. 

Once they have the information, they can represent the location in Google Maps. 

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Yeah, well Google maps has my location (where I am sitting) absolutely correct. It just has my home (address) in the wrong place. Doesn't do well with multi unit buildings, but at least it has me in the correct state. My computer has me in the right state, wrong zip code when I go to websites that want my location i just figured it was a site misconfig, since every site had me someplace else from the other sites.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

On the phone and computer, make sur location access is on. Read here https://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-default-location-windows-10

for phone: settings/location/location services. Turn wi-fi scanning & Bluetooth scanning on.

You will have to set precise location permissions in individual apps that use location.  Setting these permissions correctly will allow your web to put you in the right place.

0 Likes
slamina
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll do some work on it today
0 Likes