Original topic:

Galaxy S21 Ultra wifi keeps reconnecting to public network

(Topic created: 02-07-2022 05:01 AM)
userOpduuNwxgE
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Whenever I return to my apartment building, it first encounters the building-wide public wifi network and tries to connect to it. This network requires sign-in so it never does actually connect. It keeps using cellular data.

Then I get to my apartment which has a secure and fast wifi network that it already has the password for... And it's still half connected to the public network, waiting for me to sign in.

Hours later, I'll realize the connection seems slow on my phone, notice the problem, and then switch the wifi network.

This is incredibly frustrating because this is much dumber than a smartphone should be (a known good network is sitting right there and it's not using it!), as well as causing me to use much more of my data plan than I should need.

I've tried telling it to forget the network. I've even turned off auto reconnect for the network. Which it helpfully shows to be turned off even while it is actively trying to do just that.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userOpduuNwxgE
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

So... I ended up resetting network settings and that fixed it.

I tried turning various settings back on (including "turn on WiFi and Bluetooth automatically"), and couldn't get it to happen again.

I'm just hoping that it won't come back, if/when I actually do need to connect to that network again.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S21
Go into your SmartThings app and see if turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth automatically is on
0 Likes
Solution
userOpduuNwxgE
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

So... I ended up resetting network settings and that fixed it.

I tried turning various settings back on (including "turn on WiFi and Bluetooth automatically"), and couldn't get it to happen again.

I'm just hoping that it won't come back, if/when I actually do need to connect to that network again.

Todizzle710
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
I had saved networks like the wifi for my work so when I'm there I'm not using my 5G Data it used to connect every time I got there I dont feel like getting behind the router for the password idk why it stopped is the wifi password stored somewhere in my phone?
0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

If it happens again, try this

Screenshot_20230720_154142_Settings.jpg

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes