Original topic:

T-Mobile Carrier Screen

(Topic created: yesterday)
DM7NIC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Is there anyway I can get rid of this T-Mobile carrier logo from my startup? I didn't even get a phone from T-Mobile I ordered this Samsung S21 5G from Best Buy. My SIM card is the only T-Mobile item in this phone.
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Seems I stand correct if show tmobile would mean that's the carrier
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

@ChaosSaber You did not have that logo because when you bought your unlocked phone, you kept it unlocked by not activating it with a carrier.  You just popped in your SIM card.  When you go to a retailer and purchase an "unlocked" phone and then tell them to activate it with a carrier, it locks it to the carrier - especially if you are financing the purchase with your phone bill.  If you just buy the phone, take it home and pop in a carrier's SIM card, your phone will be on your current phone plan but have no carrier firmware on it. This way you can move from carrier to carrier without doing handstands - just pop in another SIM.

0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Its activated, T-Mobile activated it when I gave them the IMEI number, then I switched to Metro and I gave them the IMEI number
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

What you did was different that purchasing it and having it locked to the carrier, which is what they do when you purchase it at Best Buy and tell them you want it activated to T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, etc. They give you a carrier version of the phone or they download the carrier's firmware to it while activating it.

I buy all my phones unlocked and I never even have the carrier activate it, just move my SIM card from one phone to the other and it registers it on the carrier network but doesn't download any firmware.  Even when I switched carriers from AT&T to T-Mobile, TM just gave me a new SIM to put into the phone after they signed me up for the plan. If you take an unlocked phone to the carrier store, they cannot add the carrier firmware, they can only register it to their network.

ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Just going by what Google said, but since they have the logo, then its a locked phone
0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
He bought it at Best Buy. Did you buy your phone from Samsung?
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
No clue where my phone came from
0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
It just miraculously showed up at your door?
0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
No I bought it second hand, as in I don't know where the person bought it, didn't ask, just made sure the IMEI was good
ChaosSaber
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
This phone unlocked?
0 Likes