JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

4K Movies NOT supported

(Topic created: 05-14-2022 04:04 PM)
Options
Galaxy S22
So I just purchased  4K movies to watch on my S22 Ultra and I come to find out it's NOT supported the movies are capable but my phone's not. 

Seems like false advertising to me since Samsung always gloating about 4K and 8k videos to record but before I jump the gun does anyone know if there is something I maybe missing?

UPDATE for clarification since I have had a harassing troll in the group. As I do KNOW and have stated " seems like false advertising " is NOT a statement of fact to be it simply is my opinion of such because I had learned after pasting this that the S22 series can only reach 1440P. I consider this half functionality because technically it is since the display cannot produce the same resolution that is capable of being recorded. 

There are other cellphones with 4K displays within the same price point and slightly cheaper. Although Samsung has a decent user interface the point is to show existing products that can compete with Samsung for content performance. Yes, people can't visually see the difference but the point is Rather paying for half functionality ( 4K recording with no 4K play back) a person could receive that performance from other cellphones for similar price points (Sony). 

Such a discussion is ok to be had as it opens technological dialogue in the community. Ultimate this is one I find interesting and should be had since we pay for 4K and 8K recording. Again this is a discussion post as well as a discovery post for myself and those who may not know. 

I do not condone harassment or misrepresentation of anything anyone says here. Please be respectful as I have not received such from a specific member in this discussion
JUMP TO SOLUTION
Options
Galaxy S22
Not true Sony Xperia phones have 4K displays
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
Also, IMHO, 4k should be experienced on a screen that in 32" or larger. It's a waist in anything smaller. But that's just my opinion. You'll have to excuse me though, I was born into a world with black and white TVs that took thirty minutes to warm up to produce an image, had seven channels to choose from, and no remote controls. There were no cellphones, and it would take two weeks to get your pictures back from a developer.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
I agree. I also understand that history my parents had told me about their experiences as kids.

My issue though is that I don't appreciate being provided half function especially with the ridiculous prices for these phones. Regardless of it being a nice phone.
0 Likes
Tom6068
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
Samsung never advertised it playing movies in 4k. The highest screen res isn't even 4k, it's 1440.

Yes it can record in 4k, but to see that playback in that res it has to be viewed on a 4k viewable system like a 4k TV or PC monitor.
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes I know all of this but it is so wasteful to half bake something for partial functionality. When you have phones like Sony providing 4K displays for the same money and depending on the phone the display on even their lower end phones. Yes, Samsung has better user-friendly software but for the price it just seems a little ridiculous. Now that ai notice this it's kinda drawn back my experience more. It's just one of many issues I take with this phone but it is what it is at this point.
DarkPhox
Sun
Options
Galaxy S22
The display is only 1440p or "2k" on the S22 Ultra
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

I've read through all of this discussion of the phone's capability and rationale, but am not clear on one aspect. Are you able to view the 4K moves you bought just rendered at 2K, or do the apps balk at playing them at all? I'm also wondering whether Samsung's native Video Player app would handle them (as it presumably handles 4K video captured on the phone.

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
So the movies digitally are 4K but they will not play at that resolution. They will only play at 1080p. There are some other issues going on with the movies not coming in completely 1080p and I'm sure that is due to something with the applications that they are sitting in.

As for Samsung's native video player app I'm not sure exactly what that application you speak of is.
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

As for Samsung's native video player app I'm not sure exactly what that application you speak of is.

I ws referring to the app simply called Video Player that is included in the Samsung software package. I think I actually hid it from my apps drawer since I have not been using it but it still shows up under Apps/Samsung within settings. 

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
Oh okay yeah I don't think because I bought it through Vudu I can download it directly to my phone unfortunately I don't think they do that anymore they make you go through third party applications now versus back in the day when you could get a movie download it onto your actual device and you can play it through whatever you want
0 Likes