Original topic:

6.1 UI update on S22 Ultra

(Topic created: a month ago)
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Yesterday, June 28 about 4.40 pm., I finally decided to upgrade my S22 Ultras to 6.1. I did mine first. Unlocked version, no problems, but starting with the May update on my wife's T-MOBILE version, the touch screen wouldn't respond. It immediately downloaded the next update, and I proceeded to install it, thinking that would solve the problem. I had to do this using the S-pen. After the 6.1 UI update, it still only responds to the S- pen. 
I also noticed that my 'phone diagnostics' under 'Device care' was missing as well as the clock icon.
Now my phone on restart is stuck on the Tmobile logo, I've cleared catche. At one point it came off the logo and went to screen and told me to clear App data. I didn't want to do that yet, and now on restart., it is permanently stuck on T-mobile logo.

Any help would be appreciated. My wife is mad at me now as she didn't want to update yet, but I forced the issue, as mine went with no problems. 
14 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22

If you were told to clear the app data, you should.  Your other alternative would be to factory reset and restore your backup.  The update will come down again and, most likely, install correctly.  If you are afraid of the update, before you sign into either your Samsung or Google account, turn off automatic updates. Incidentally, clearing app data is really a misnomer, the worst that usually happens with that is that your logins (and maybe some settings) are erased, and you will have to sign into any apps that require sign in again.

It appears the S22 was particularly hard hit by updates gone wrong.

0 Likes
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks realaud for the feedback, I'm trying to get back to the 'clear app data' screen but I can't, phone stuck on T-mobile pink screen. That screen came up automatically when phone got past pink screen and couldn't go any further. Now it's stuck on pink T-mobile screen. Is there a way to manually get to the 'clear app data' screen.
Any mods reading this post care to chime in. Did this update brick my phone? Is Samsung gonna fix this?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22

Does the phone shut down at all?  If it does, you can try booting into recovery mode by shutting the phone down and starting up again while holding the power and volume up buttons simultaneously until the Samsung logo appears. Once the Samsung logo appears, you will let it boot into recovery mode, and you can use the volume down button to scroll to clear cache partition; once selected, tap the power button and then use the volume down button to scroll to "yes" and when "yes" is selected, tap the power button to clear the cache - will take about a second. After that it will ask you to reboot, use the volume buttons to select and the power button to confirm.   You should at least be able to reboot your phone.  That may have cleared the problem, or you may once again get the clear app data screen (a screen, incidentally, I have never seen), but if the cache clean worked, you shouldn't have to do that.  Clearing the cache will probably have cleaned out remnants of the update download, so there's a possibility the update may want to come down again but, as I said, if you turn off automatic updates before that happens, it shouldn't.  You should also check the software version that you have in "about phone" just to see if the update actually completed. I'd still restore the last backup.  All this assuming you can get the phone to reboot at all.

0 Likes
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks again for the feed back, I can get to the clear cache screen. I've done that many times to no avail. Let me clarify something, the phone completed the 6.1 UI update. After that the touch refuse to work. I was able to use the S-pen to navigate the phone.
Upon restarting the phone, that is when it got stuck on the Tmobile screen. The first two tries on restarting it boothed up to the home screen. S-pen to navigate. Tried disabling 'touch sensitivity' in display menu, as per Samsung's post, restarted phone and now doesn't go past T-mobile screen, except for a couple of times it went to ' clear app data' screen.
Now it doesn't do that. I can get to recovery screen, but didn't want to factory reset as yet, if I could solve the touch problem.
I might have to factory reset as nothing is working.
0 Likes
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Finally decided on factory reset, executed it and screen came up after 10 or so mins with app data screen, options to 'try again' and 'clear app data'. I decided to try the clear app data route and phone is now on screen 'ONE UI, 100% Optimizing apps for the last 45 mins between flashes of the 'T-mobile pink screen' and back to '100% optimizing apps '. Not progressing beyond that.
I'm afraid to try to interrupt this as I don't want to mess anything up. This does not seem to be progressing beyond this. Stayon on '...... optimizing apps' longer than flashes of ' Tmobile pink Screen'.
0 Likes
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Wow, no Samsung rep comments yet, wow. My phone is **bleep** by "6.1 UI UPDATE".
0 Likes
Benmacgyle
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello

I am facing the same situation with my S22 ultra after I upgraded to One UI 6.1. My touch screen stopped working and sometimes it's even difficult to restart the phone because it would stuck in Samsung logo for a longtime before it  starts. The only thing you can do maybe is to wait for the update to fix the problem. There are too many people facing this issue.  😔😔

0 Likes
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
I wish I had held out longer to update. I postponed the updates for the last 3 months and finally relented after being pestered by Samsung about the updates. As I mentioned earlier, my unlocked Ultra updated finally, but my wife's T-mobile Ultra got bricked.
0 Likes
corncab
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Spell check correction, "my unlocked Ultra updated fine".
0 Likes