JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Battery wear question

(Topic created: 07-20-2022 11:29 AM)
Members_MlxG97M
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

I have a question about battery wear. Let's say the phone is charged to 80%.

1. Use the phone until 50% and then charge back to 80% before sleeping. Next day, use the phone to 50% and then charge to 80% again before sleeping. (80 -> 50 -> 80 -> 50 -> 80)
2. Use the phone until 50% but don't charge it. Next day, use the phone until 20%. Then charge to 80% before sleeping. (80 -> 20 -> 80)

Both scenarios charge the phone 60% total. Scenario 1 charges in 30% increment. Scenario 2 charges in straight 60%.

Would the battery wear be the same? Or one scenario will wear less than the other?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Galaxy S22
Samsung has made an official statement regarding the ideal battery charging conditions. It was said that the optimal charging cycle is not over 85% and not under 50% so if you're actually able to stick to your 80->50 rule, and bump it to 85->50 that would be the ideal scenario for longevity. Now in practice, I personally can't abide by that, I need more usage time so I use the battery protection feature (limits max charge to 85%) and charge overnight and end the night with between 20-30%. This has worked great for me as I've had my S22 Ultra since launch day and still consistently get over 12hrs of screen on time.
Also don't charge your phone on your bed, the blankets will hold the heat in and cause premature wear. Heat is absolutely a leading contributer to battery degradation. Charge controllers (especially PPS) are extremely smart+efficient nowadays, so normal amounts of heat aren't the end of the world as the controller will just renegotiate a lower voltage and amperage to compensate for the heat.

View solution in context

4 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
I would say yes. The enemy to these batteries is heat which is worse when trying to get that last 15% and the reason why the Protect Battery setting limits the charge to 85% Super and Fast charging produces more heat that normal slow charging so I believe that is an issue as well.
** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
tom2055
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
I used to do the 20%-80% rule but stopped and here's why. Going from 85-20 uses 65% of the battery. If they battery degrades at 5% a year (which is OVER estimating as losing 5% is very unlikly, but its easier to calculate with) so only useing 65% of the battery means that im not using 35% of the battery. Over 5 years, losing 5% a year would put me at 25% lost, however id still have more battery than if i only used 65%

Anyways do whatever you want, everyone is diffent but just thought I'd share my thoughts
0 Likes
Solution
Options
Galaxy S22
Samsung has made an official statement regarding the ideal battery charging conditions. It was said that the optimal charging cycle is not over 85% and not under 50% so if you're actually able to stick to your 80->50 rule, and bump it to 85->50 that would be the ideal scenario for longevity. Now in practice, I personally can't abide by that, I need more usage time so I use the battery protection feature (limits max charge to 85%) and charge overnight and end the night with between 20-30%. This has worked great for me as I've had my S22 Ultra since launch day and still consistently get over 12hrs of screen on time.
Also don't charge your phone on your bed, the blankets will hold the heat in and cause premature wear. Heat is absolutely a leading contributer to battery degradation. Charge controllers (especially PPS) are extremely smart+efficient nowadays, so normal amounts of heat aren't the end of the world as the controller will just renegotiate a lower voltage and amperage to compensate for the heat.
Members_MlxG97M
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

Thank you. I'm a very light user, so I always end the day with more than 50% left (from 80%-ish charged). I'll do the 50-85% charge every day. That seems to be the BEST method for battery longevity for me. I realize that not many people can do this lol.

0 Likes