JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Camera storage location to SD no longer an option

(Topic created: 01-01-2023 08:03 AM)
ballaru2ru
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

I got an external SD card adapter for my Galaxy 22 Ultra and I used to have the option (through the camera settings) to change the storage location to my SD card. After a software update there isn't even a "storage location" option in the storage settings anymore. This sucks because I can no longer record large videos. Does anybody know a workaround for this besides just freeing up space on my phones internal storage? I'm not sure if this could be my carrier or the manufacturer that has disabled the option possibly.

4 Replies
Solution
d_spi
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
Good evening @ballaru2ru I hope you're doing well.

Unfortunately the S22 Ultra does not have a MicroSD card slot for you to use the SD card adapter that you recently purchased, unless you're using a hub? However the only workarounds there are would be to use Cloud storage (5GBs free from Microsoft if you have a Microsoft account and have your S22 Ultra connected to your Microsoft account) and Google drove offers 15GBs of cloud storage for free.

Other than that you're limited to the internal storage your phone has unless you moved those large files to your PC. That's also a solution to free up space.

I hope this helps.
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S22
That answer seems to have missed the point... An SD adapter would act like any USB-C thumb drive (or the literally thousands of SD->USB mass storage adapters photographers with real cameras have been using for decades) and should be available as a storage target for file saves from the camera, however annoying it would be to keep it plugged in while shooting.

MicroSD cards are physically much smaller than SD and no adapter could exist even if there were a slot... Not even some cabled monstrosity... even on my Note 20 Ultra, the microSD slot is in the SIM tray and only works while it's all locked in place... unless there have been advances in folding cabling through the 4th dimension I'm unaware of.

"Use the cloud" is a useless solution to this problem, which as the OP said, didn't exist before.

I'd strongly suspect this was an intentional choice when Samsung realized people shooting video from tripods could avoid paying $600 for an extra 384GB of internal storage by plugging in any old USB-C storage device of practically any speed since 4k video from these phones averages around 50Mb/s and I have cards from nearly 20 years ago that can manage that kind of sad speed. State-of-the-art UHS-II SD reads and writes at 2.4Gb/s and isn't the quickest thing that can be plugged into a USB-C port by far.
willard82
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Why can't they sell the ability to make SD expandable storage I for one will not pay for the cloud... but I would pay a one time fee for a push update to make UT work correctly. Next step is to root the phone and change it though it will kill my warranty. I guess you must fight the pirates with piracy. Taking away functionality and charging more needs to stop
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S22
They kinda were selling it on the last two phone generations that had it... The Note20 / S20 were missing microsd slots, you had to pay the extra for the Ultra versions to get them. I *think* it was the same on the S10 / Note10 but I didn't have them so I don't recall... That's what makes things extra confusing. Still, USB-C mass storage as a target for saves shouldn't be an add-on feature since it's sorta standard for Android. I'd have to check but I think it's usually treated like internal microsd and apps can be moved there, etc.

One option might be to use OpenCamera for video instead; it's generally better for video anyway since it allows using higher bitrates. I've tried as high as 150Mb/s to rather ancient microsd without issues. I'm not sure if all cameras work for video with the "pro" mode features like they now do in Samsung's app and multiple / external mic support might not be there yet but 150Mb is more suitable for editing than 50 or less.
0 Likes