JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Emergency calls only/ poor service + terrible support S22Ultra

(Topic created: 01-10-2024 01:37 PM)
poky07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

To preface my s22 ultra is almost 2 years old (becomes two years next month) and I am out of warranty. Around the 17th when my phone updated I started having serious connection issues. These issues I chalked up to being in a new state until I realized my family was not having the same issues and have the same carrier as me. Fast forward to coming home I get stuck at 1AM in freezing temperatures with a dead car battery and my only cell service being Emergency calls only. Thankfully kind strangers could jumpstart me or I have no idea what I would do.

Before this, this issue had happened periodically but now it had become an actual danger for me and incredibly inconvenient so I had to address it. My phone regularly drops signal and I am stuck in outings not knowing if I can even download maps for google maps to even make it home nevermind not even being able to play spotify in my car or take calls from those who need me. Places with wifi are my holy grail now and give me great piece of mind but are few and far between.

I began contacting Verizon support and trying all their troubleshooting methods. We quickly pinpoint the sim card as a possible problem. With their help I move over to an e-sim and hope that is an end to all my problems. Nope. I'm back to the same issues. I sat in a coffee shop with a friend who has an iPhone and is also on verizon. I had emergency calls only and she had perfect signal and 0 issues. So I go into the physical Verizon store and they go through a few things like bills and such and say they have no idea what is wrong consider getting a new phone, it's not them causing this issue.

With all this, I begin my search online and stumble on a few sources that seem to be having similar problems to me. It's either an antenna or software issue, either way Samsungs fault, and with very few successful troubleshooting methods, if any besides sending in for repairs.

So begins my calling to Samsung support. First they go through the diagnostics then try to upsell me on the s23 ultra and say I can do a trade in. I refuse adamantly stating this phone is not even 2 years old how can I trust something similar would not happen to my new s23 ultra. They then made me go into a repair store to find out if its a hardware issue. My phone comes back with a clean bill of health and the store says it is likely software.

My final saga now begins. I call Samsung again my phones hardware clean bill of health in hand. They say I should go into the store and have my software reflashed, which I had expected them to ask. So, today I will go in and pay $40 hoping this is fixed. However, I spoke to the most wonderful technician when I scheduled that. She told me that she has seen this issue a few times with the s22 ultra and the reflash works about 20% of the time and if it doesn't Samsung will ask you to get a new motherboard ($800 or so). She also just recommended a new phone at that point. I thanked her profusely for the info and will see how that goes later today.

Now for the future, I have an iPhone sitting in my cart mourning the fact I may have to get a phone far earlier than I had ever intended and leaving a brand I have been with for 7 years. My phone not even 2 years old reduced to an expensive device I can't even rely on unless it's an extremely serious emergency. Untrustworthy

The worst part is support doesn't even seem very aware about this issue and the posts I have seen on it have been sparse and spread apart. I want to draw more eyes to this as it is essentially bricking a phone that still works great in other areas and I am bummed to part ways with. The problem is inconsistent too so I can't even plan for when it might happen. My talks with support have just been the most frustrating and unhelpful things I have ever experienced from a support team. Constant repeating statements and trying to make me trade in. Overall, this situation has been terrible

Thank you for making it this far and I hope the rest of your day treats you well. Any more advice to try is welcome but I have scouted out almost every board of this problem and no solutions have worked for me and I am not willing to fork out $$$ to repair a phone that should have never needed it. It feels like this was done on purpose so support could try to make me trade in for a new phone...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
poky07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

FINAL UPDATE: Sent in phone for repairs and got it back with these repairs done. Free since Samsung caught wind of all of my complaining. I'll take that as there is no official solution to my knowledge besides sending it in for repairs. I am not sure what parts these are that were replaced/ how much they cost. Be sure to email the CEO with your complaint and issues if you are running into the same issue. Pester Samsung since they owe us a solution

I will be trading this newly repaired phone in since I do not have faith in its longevity, even with it fixed. Good luck everyone

poky07_0-1706029665004.png

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 Replies
kaesa
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Hey! you aren't the only one. I made a post that might shed some light hopefully. It isn't guaranteed, but its a way.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S22/Regarding-Android-14-Data-Issues/td-p/2775679?src=Sha...
kaesa
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Let's make em aware.
JaisLyfe
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I have called Samsung Support with NO help and resolution for this issue. My phone was purchased in April of 2021 and was defective from the beginning. While it was under warranty they replaced the LTE Registration and the phone worked for a short time. Prior to the warranty expiring I started having issues again, sent it in to them and they said nothing wrong and shipped it back to me. I wrote a warranty complaint to the CEO and still NO resolution. The representatives act as if they are unaware of this issue. There is NO way possible Samsung doesn't know the latest update caused this issue and it puts the consumers in dangerous situations and also negatively impacts Business income for those of us who use our phone for business as well. I believe that these type of actions are worthy of a Class Action Suit. I wish I knew an attorney who filed CA suits and I may just look for one bc this a consumer protection issue Samsung refuses to address. I also refused the S23 Upgrade offer for $1200 because I'm dumb enough to believe they have no issues but this practically NEW phone does. NO confidence in Samsung at all. NONE.
poky07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

If you find any attorney let us know. Even I've considered looking for some and yeah I emailed the CEO as well. You're definitely not alone the technician I spoke with yesterday said this issue was happening day one but it seems this update just made it more often 

Options
Galaxy S22
I am ALSO experiencing severe connection issues. places like my room at home, work, on the road I'll get E, LTE, or :prohibited:. constantly turning on airplane mode then turning it off for hopefully a quick fix. been like this for almost a month now it feels like. I also use a s22 Ultra. I have never ever ever needed to use wifi calling but now it's the only possible way for me to get calls when at home.

also I do doordash and grubhub and this has been a issue for when shopping at walgreens for example. I lose service completely and have to run outside just to finish the checkout options on the apps so I can use the payment card to finish the order
Options
Galaxy S22
oh and as for the maps. I recommend when on wifi. download offline maps
KP_454
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
I just got home to wifi and checked for a software update and there was one there for my AT&T S22U. It's the December security patch, not a fix. No change post update. Way to get my hopes up, Samsung!
0 Likes
CorbinÆLLEn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22
I need a new fonë promätœəł nowē?
0 Likes
poky07
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

UPDATE: The reflash failed, as expected. All my complaining worked and Samsung offered me a free repair (of course meaning I am without a phone for a few days...)

I will be sending my phone in once I acquire a backup and then will see if it even works after the repairs or I will be getting that iphone 15. I am not very hopeful as it seems this issue has been rampant with the s22 ultra from day one. Disappointing for a flagship