JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Mystery security reset impacting GPay

(Topic created: 06-26-2023 04:26 PM)
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

Sometime between yesterday and today my S22 reset multiple security settings. My phone was unsecured. When I tried to pay via GPay, the app informed me I needed to secure the phone before I could set up payments. All of my unlock methods were wiped. I had to set up pattern, fingerprints, and PIN as if it were a new phone. It required a 6-digit PIN where I am sure it was only 4 digits before. 

Now that I am secure again, GPay remembers my store loyalty cards but not any of my credit cards. Is there any way to recover them short of entering from scratch? 

What would have triggered this and how do I avoid losing data in the future? For the record, I received the June security patch on 6/22 and definitely used fingerprints and GPay without issue over the weekend. 

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Sprocket99
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
You shouldn't need to do anything. That should have never happened.

Its unknown what actually happened. I feel not all the facts or required info has been presented to correctly say anything as to what to do.

If you used a pin or fingerprint before then it should have been required to pass the lockscreen and if it changed once in then it should always only be user or something nefarious as the pin or fingerprint print should be required to then change it.

Samsung devices for long enough now won't do anything after an update finishes until the user passes the lockscreen by their pin, etc.

That kind of thing doesn't just get reset. Its possible that you accidentally did it or got it to happen or a nefarious thing you accidentally got installed helped you into it or did it without help. These two are 99.9% to 100% of what it should be as to what happened. But, exactly what happened is unknown.

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Solution
Sprocket99
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
You shouldn't need to do anything. That should have never happened.

Its unknown what actually happened. I feel not all the facts or required info has been presented to correctly say anything as to what to do.

If you used a pin or fingerprint before then it should have been required to pass the lockscreen and if it changed once in then it should always only be user or something nefarious as the pin or fingerprint print should be required to then change it.

Samsung devices for long enough now won't do anything after an update finishes until the user passes the lockscreen by their pin, etc.

That kind of thing doesn't just get reset. Its possible that you accidentally did it or got it to happen or a nefarious thing you accidentally got installed helped you into it or did it without help. These two are 99.9% to 100% of what it should be as to what happened. But, exactly what happened is unknown.
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

Thanks for your thoughts on this, and this was what I assumed would be the case.  I really don't know what caused this. I will say that I did not accidentally or intentionally remove the unlock protection I had established, nor have I recently installed any new apps. I am generally quite careful with what I do install. It makes sense that if that protection somehow got removed, GPay would protect me by removing my saved credit cards. 

I do have a question for you or anyone else who uses a PIN lock. Does your phone require 6 digits or only 4? I could swear mine never asked for 6 before.

Dan
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Maybe I figured it out. I previously said I had not recently installed any new apps. I did, however, recently set up and test Find My Phone, including triggering an unlock from my PC. It makes sense that this could result in clearing security settings. Now I know (I think).

Dan
0 Likes