JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

PSA: Speakers don't work as intended (Crackling/muffled sound) after traveling via airplane

(Topic created: 09-25-2022 06:38 PM)
lakshj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Greetings,

This is a PSA post for users who have speaker issues after traveling via an airplane. After my recent travels, I seem to have this issue & have found a fix.

The speakers (including the in ear) don't work as intended right after a flight. I've faced this issue twice now and my solution has been to simply remove the SIM card tray and the S-Pen. 

It seems to be a pressure related issue which doesn't allow the speakers to work as intended after altitude or pressure change. It doesn't happen after every airplane journey but only on certain routes. 

I'd also like for Samsung to review this and get back.

P.S. - The phone was in perfect working condition before the flight (in ear and speaker). It stopped working after landing. (Tashkent to New Delhi)

Hope this helps.

5 Replies
Lmarquez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
How long did you keep the spen as and sim out to repressurize? I am having that exact issue right now.
0 Likes
lakshj
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

I just turned the phone off, took the S-Pen out along with the SIM card tray and I put them right back in, and voila! It was back to normal.

Lmarquez
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Thank you so much!
Solution
Members_TL5YPv8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

I have had the same issue with the A52s after a plane flight.

The solution seems simple enough: pull the SIM card tray and push it back in. 

Apparently the phone is hermetically sealed, so it meets the waterproofing requirements.  When the pressure is lowered, as in an airplane, the seal "pops" and then both the speaker and earpiece don't work well. By opening the SIM tray, you break the seal and the pressure inside the phone normalizes and then the speaker and earphone work all right.

The cracking and muted sound are only on the components of the phone, and do not impact a Bluetooth connection, so it is not a software or electronics issue. It is only a mechanical problem because of the difference in pressure inside the phone and outside the phone. Pulling the SIM tray out is enough to rebalance the pressures.

azeba
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks for this explanation, this makes so much sense, I've had this happen to my in-call speaker twice right after I got off a plane. I was thinking it was related to putting my phone on airplane mode. But looks like it is a pure mechanical issue. Opening the sim card tray is something I'm gonna try next time I get off the plane, right before I turn off airplane mode.