Original topic:

Photographs have disappeared from gallery following latest update (6.1)

(Topic created: 04-04-2024 07:22 AM)
hellsbellz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Following the latest update a number of images (predominantly screenshots) have disappeared from the gallery.

I've attempted to search the file section on my phone and can't see them anywhere obvious. Thankfully the backups still exist on Google photos, but I would like them to appear back on my phone.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or have any suggestions to find/recover them?

Thanks! šŸ™‚

10 Replies
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

You can still view them on your phone even though they reside on Google. Just open the Google photos app already on your phone. If you want them back, taking up space on your phone, just download them from Google.

0 Likes
hellsbellz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Thank you.

I'm aware that I can access the Google Photos app to view the backed up images, however, I would like to get to the bottom of why a selection of them have disappeared from my gallery, as I'm concerned that other things may have also gone missing following the update.

0 Likes
CaraMincks
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Has your phone backed up post software install? If no6 maybe uninstall update, restore from back up, then investigate all settings related to the photos that disappeared. It seems this update is a little glitch according to comments here
0 Likes
hellsbellz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Unfortunately, it has taken a back up today so I won't be able to use this option šŸ™ˆ

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

I understand that some people who have had the update are complaining about missing photos & messages.  I do not, myself, understand why things that have nothing to do with the updates should be deleted.  My advice to anyone would be that before they click "download now" on an update, is to make an independent backup of all that is holy to them.  You can use Smart Switch to backup to a laptop, SD card, USB drive, etc. So you know you have at least one backup that won't be overwritten daily.

On a related/unrelated note, it really irks me that only one backup of your device can be stored at a time. At minimum, they should allow two.

hellsbellz
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! šŸ˜‚

It's not the end of the world, as fortunately everything is backed up to Google Drive, just more of an unexpected annoyance really.

0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

It's not specifically about hindsight, others reading these forums might have a little foresight and take the advice, and those that have experienced it, might think about that the next time.  Or, at the very least, once they get their phone to where they want it and working well, make that backup just to have a good backup available.

realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S22

Think of the missing photos as a way to clear up storage space on your phone. Are they actually missing, or do they still reside in the DCIM folder on your phone.  Maybe the glitch is in reading the direction to storage. 

0 Likes
Fm00781
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S22

Are these files hidden as mine done the same but was before an update 

0 Likes