JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S22 Plus keeps reverting to 3G / H+........

(Topic created: 07-24-2022 04:25 PM)
userWayVax72J5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello all, this is my first post here.  I have an S22 Plus, unlocked from Samsung.  I'm on T-Mobile USA service.  

I recently installed the July 1 security patch update.  Since then, my phone keeps reverting to 3G speeds.  It occurs as the following.  If my phone has been sitting for an hour, I pick it up, and it shows 3G or H+.  I will run an internet speed test, and get around 5 mbps.  I switch to airplane mode for 10 seconds, and then switch airplane mode off.  Immediately, I'm back on 5G and speeds are 300 mbps.

30 minutes later, my phone is back on 3G again.  If I toggle airplane mode on and off, I'm right back to 5G.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Since the July update, my battery life has also degraded.  I'm guessing this is due to the weak signal, and my phone is constantly searching.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

10 Replies
Options
Galaxy S22
Did you ask T mobile about this yet?
0 Likes
userWayVax72J5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

I have not asked T-mobile.  It seemed to have started after the July 1, Samsung update.  Everything was fine before that.  Another thing I noticed after the update, the update reinstalled the Bixby button on my phone.  I had previously disabled the Bixby button, and made  the side button, the power button.  After the update, the side button was back to Bixby.

0 Likes
The_Lemon
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
Set your phone to 4G/LTE/3G/2G mode in your data connection settings. Go to connections > mobile networks > networks mode. This should keep it from switching to 3G and H+. Unfortunately you can't use 5G until this is fixed.

You can also try to update to the July update. It fixes some bugs but you will still have to change your network mode.

My carrier (tello, which uses t-mobile towers) told me all if this info
userWayVax72J5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Thank you for this.  I switched it to 4G / LTE, and so far it seems to be working.  I'm getting a stable 60 mbps, with no switching to 3G / H+.  I will keep testing, to make sure it's stable.  

Did Tello explain to you, what the issue is?  Is it a T-mobile problem, or is it the Samsung July update?  

Thanks again for the help.

0 Likes
The_Lemon
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
They said all they know is that Google changed a feature with the calling that caused the calls to bug out. They said they will send a text to all the tello users that were affected when it is fixed. They haven't texted me yet.

Glad I can help!
0 Likes
userWayVax72J5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

Sadly, it seems switching to 4G didn't work.  I just checked again, and I'm back on 3G and H+.  I just ran a speed test, and I'm getting 4.62 mbps download speeds.  Toggled airplane mode on and then off, and I'm back to LTE+ and 50 mbps.  

Frustrating!!!  After 30 minutes, my S22 Plus always reverts to 3G.  I have to toggle airplane mode on and off, and it reconnects with high speeds.

Bhupal64
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
Reset Network Setting
0 Likes
SlayerNation
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Currently dealing with the same issue too
0 Likes
userWayVax72J5
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

See my last post, and the solution I posted.  Hopefully this will solve your issues as well.

0 Likes