Original topic:

Annoying Samsung News page

(Topic created: 09-11-2024 07:31 AM)
mb0221
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
How can I get rid of the Samsung news page when I turn on my phone? In the past I had created a set of wallpapers with family pictures that would show every time I turn on my phone. With the latest update, an annoying Samsung news page would appear instead of my preset wallpapers. I turned off the Google Discover and Samsung news in Settings, but the annoying Samsung news wouldn't go away. What can I do? It's very intrusive. If I want news, I'll go to the news. Don't force it on me.
6 Replies
Sean_Read
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Are you on the latest operating system? The recommendations you receive will depend on that.

usssera
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
What does the news say? I never see any news. News makes money by circulation Samsung gives free service and in return there will be ads is in the TOS but I never see any news or ads. You're lucky.
mb0221
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
You're right that it's ads, not news.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

If it's ads, you first have to determine which app is sending the ads.  Once you determine the app, you can either uninstall the app or disable the notifications for the ad portion of the app.  For instance, if they are coming from the Samsung store, you have to first enable notification categories in settings/notifications/advanced settings/manage notification categories for all apps.  Once you've done that you can long press on the Store icon and tap the little circled "i" on the upper right to bring you to the settings.  Choose notifications, tap on the categories and turn off all the notification categories except for the mandatory one, which you can't turn off.  

If it's another app, same thing applies.

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

You can delete the news screen.  I assume you are talking about the screen you get when you swipe right from the home screen.  If that's the case, just long press on a blank area of your screen and when the screen shrinks, scroll to the page and turn it off.  You can also a) turn off notifications for the Samsung News app or b) uninstall the app. ButScreenshot_20240313_145952_One UI Home.jpg I think you are speaking about the Google Discover/Samsung News page.

mb0221
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Thank you for all your help. šŸ™‚ I tried multiple things based on your comments, turning off Google Discover, changing lock screen ads settings, restarting my phone many times, and nothing worked. It turned out that I blamed Samsung for no reason. I read on internet that it could be caused by apps that I downloaded. I checked all my apps and noticed an app called Breaking News, which i didn't recognize šŸ™ƒ. So, I un-installed that, and voila, the annoying ads went away. Woohoo. Thanks again for all your help.