JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Battery/processing speed and charging

(Topic created: 02-27-2023 06:23 PM)
Tiaza
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
On my old S21, under Battery, I was offered a choice of processing speeds - optimized, high and maximum. On my new S23, I am not offered these. I have only a choice of two "performance profiles" - standard and light. 

Additionally, under Battery settings I used to have 3 options - fast charging, super fast charging and fast wireless charging. The newer model only offers fast charging and fast wireless charging. 

Did they remove these two turbo modes over concerns of battery overheating? The other S21 in our house did have an issue with the battery overheating and swelling. Do not use a battery once this happens! It could explode or catch fire. I was surprised and dismayed that Samsung didn't take this seriously at all. They didn't offer to replace the phone or even just the battery. They didn't even advise him to do using the phone immediately. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BattleShipp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
So the super fast charging option is combined in the fast charging option. Why i don't know. But they also have super fast charging 2.0 and you have to have a cable rated for 45 watt charging speed or it just does regular super fast charging at 25 watts. I have the "fast charging" turned on and when I plug into their 25 watt "super fast charging" brick it shows the "super fast charging" so the fast charging option turned on will also activate super fast charging as well.

For the performance profiles, the "light" setting is for more battery efficiency and, for lack of a better explanation, makes the chip focus on battery life and efficiency rather than focusing on the best performance to power for the task. [I keep the "light" profile on most of the time to increase my battery efficiency until I want to use the full CPU and GPU power available (like for photo editing or watching movies and playing games)]Screenshot_20230308_230816_Device care_1000000596_1678338515.jpg20230308_231130_1000000599_1678338708.jpg

View solution in context

4 Replies
Tiaza
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
You have the setting "Battery protect" enabled. It keeps the phone from charging more than 85%. It's supposed to extend the battery life.
0 Likes
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
I would say that Samsung removed and/or changed some features. The new phone offers different performance profiles. There isn't drastic change old phone versus new phone, so the options you mentioned should not hinder the performance of your device.

0 Likes
Abhaya71
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
I noticed this too.

Probably has to do with the fact that the Samsung fabricated 8 gen 1 was not the fastest processor and they wanted to enhance the performance for people. Also as a result of "phone overheating" complaints they probably decided to remove those settings. Samsung has paid a lot of attention to thermal throttling this year and seems very keen on avoiding it this time around.

I certainly like granular control over the cpu and wasn't super happy with the change but the new 8 gen 2, faster ram and storage make the new s23 series faster than any other Android phone in the past. I guess we can live with it.
0 Likes
Solution
BattleShipp
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
So the super fast charging option is combined in the fast charging option. Why i don't know. But they also have super fast charging 2.0 and you have to have a cable rated for 45 watt charging speed or it just does regular super fast charging at 25 watts. I have the "fast charging" turned on and when I plug into their 25 watt "super fast charging" brick it shows the "super fast charging" so the fast charging option turned on will also activate super fast charging as well.

For the performance profiles, the "light" setting is for more battery efficiency and, for lack of a better explanation, makes the chip focus on battery life and efficiency rather than focusing on the best performance to power for the task. [I keep the "light" profile on most of the time to increase my battery efficiency until I want to use the full CPU and GPU power available (like for photo editing or watching movies and playing games)]Screenshot_20230308_230816_Device care_1000000596_1678338515.jpg20230308_231130_1000000599_1678338708.jpg