Original topic:

LED notification light

(Topic created: 02-03-2024 06:47 AM)
Dougrobbb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

S23 does Not have the  LED NOTIFICATION LIGHT

I miss this feature and can't understand why Andriod dropped it. This was a great feature on my old Galaxy A8.  I want to see this LED notification light brought back in the next software update.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S23
Samsung and most other smartphone manufacturers have gotten rid of notification LEDs in favor of the Always On Display. I copied part of a Wikipedia article explaining why below my post.

If you absolutely must have a notification LED, you can get a Nothing phone. The back of those phones is almost entirely a system of notification LEDs.

====================

(Copied from Wikipedia)

Gradually, the smartphone industry has been moving towards OLED displays. With this transition, the dedicated notification LED light has slowly been eliminated from newer smartphones. There is also a focus by smartphone designers to minimize the screen bezels or keep them very thin, thus leaving no room for the notification LED light.

As a replacement for the LED light, some smartphones from Samsung, LG, Nokia include an Always On Display feature. On OLED displays, the Always-On Display (AOD) shows limited information while the phone is asleep, that is, when the entire display is not lit up. With OLED screens, only a part of the screen, or a few pixels on it can be turned on to convey information.
GatoL0c0
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
You won't see it in a software update. It's missing the hardware. The LED notification light was removed in the S series several phone iterations ago, is not coming back.
0 Likes
userMasyVwEwRl
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
You can try this app... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.alwaysondisplay

Let me know if that works for you.
0 Likes
WhatIsLaw
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

I have the same problem and would like to request a software modification from SASMUNG bc of the these reasons:

1: AOD can replace the same feature but there is no option for it, only the mentioned 3rd party app. I don't want to install this software, even if they claim it's safe. They will have full acces to my data but I dont trust them.  And this option should be integrated and optimized to the OS.

2. There is the edge lighting option. Only problem with it that it's last only for some seconds and not forever. Please add unlimited time to this feature and my problem will be solved.

3. I bought a "flagship" phone, but it has so many software downgrades compared to my 5 years old phone that I'm feeling I was **bleep**.  The phones getting more expensive each year and getting more "stupider".

0 Likes