JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gallery 14.1.02.0 & 14.1.02.2: Auto rotate does not work correctly with the Nova Launcher

(Topic created: 02-19-2023 01:03 PM)
SamZelidar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

On both a S23 Ultra and a Note 20 Ultra, there is something strange happening with the Samsung Gallery 14.1.02.0 and the built-in "Auto rotate" function. In short, on both devices with the "Auto rotate" function turned on, it sometimes works as expected but mostly it does not and remains all the time in portrait mode.

I have not yet figured out the circumstances which would cause it to work correctly. On the other hand, when Gallery is started from within the Samsung Photo application, then the automatic rotation is working fine with Gallery.

On both devices, I have the latest available software version for the OS, the Photo and Gallery applications. I have cleared the cache and  already rebooted both devices, that didn't help.

I have bought the S23 Ultra almost exclusively for its extended photographic capabilities, so being stuck in portrait mode is a pretty big and bad deal for me.
Please fix this asap Samsung, thanks.

Update! Hopeful, I just installed the freshly released firmware  S918BXXU1AWBD / S918BOXM1AWBD / S918BXXU1AWBD, but that didn't change anything, although Gallery has also been upgraded from 14.1.02.0 to 14.1.02.2

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamZelidar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Thanks to SirLoinOfBeef, I now know that my Nova 7 launcher is messing with the auto-rotate function of the Gallery app. I had its "Screen orientation" parameter set to "Default", and now I set it to "Auto-rotate". Gallery now auto rotates as expected, but so does the entire home screen which is a bit annoying. At least it appears that Samsung Gallery is not entirely guilty :-).

Just got an answer from Nova:
"That's an issue that Samsung broke with their update and they do this ever so often actually. This issue happens in all 3rd party launchers and not something Nova can fix as Nova controls Nova, nothing more."

View solution in context

3 Replies
Diegocaconnfl
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
My phone won't rotate
0 Likes
Solution
SamZelidar
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Thanks to SirLoinOfBeef, I now know that my Nova 7 launcher is messing with the auto-rotate function of the Gallery app. I had its "Screen orientation" parameter set to "Default", and now I set it to "Auto-rotate". Gallery now auto rotates as expected, but so does the entire home screen which is a bit annoying. At least it appears that Samsung Gallery is not entirely guilty :-).

Just got an answer from Nova:
"That's an issue that Samsung broke with their update and they do this ever so often actually. This issue happens in all 3rd party launchers and not something Nova can fix as Nova controls Nova, nothing more."

JoeyKray
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Same issue here.