Original topic:

Super fast charger clicks on and off constantly

(Topic created: yesterday)
userp9DidDS7yJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
The charging port is clean, it's a 45 watt block that works fine with a slow cable, but using a cable that supports super fast charging makes the charge constantly click on and off. I've always used a slow charger because of this, and I have bought many different chargers and cables that have done the same thing
9 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

I don't know for sure, but is it possible that super fast charging may cause the phone to overheat, so charging stops while it cools down? 

0 Likes
userp9DidDS7yJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
It only clicks off for 1 second, and does this every 10 seconds
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Still could be heating and cooling. If the charger, cable and charging port work on slow charging (is it slow charging or simply fast charging?), it's likely not a problem with any of those. I can believe this is a protective measure, as super fast charging is likely to tax the battery. On the rare occasion that I put my phone on the super fast charger, I do not watch it charge, so I don't know if it alternates on and off as a normal occurrence, but I have seen a handful of inquiries about it.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

You should download Good Guardians from the Galaxy store and then the thermal guardian module.  It will be able to tell you if your phone is going over the temperature threshold during charging.

Screenshot_20240731_181919_Thermal Guardian.jpg

The dotted line is the threshold, the orange dots are points where there was activity.  Clicking on one of the dots will tell you what was going on at the time.  The blue shadow is when it's charging.  So, you can see from the photo above, that I had a period of high heat during a charging cycle.

0 Likes
userp9DidDS7yJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks, I'll try it!
0 Likes
userp9DidDS7yJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
It's been plugged in for 10 minutes, says it's fast charging, and it's dropped from 20% to 8% battery.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

So, you are actually getting a negative charge.  I would suggest that if you were getting a charge on the slower connection, you continue to do that.  Unless you are running out of power in the middle of the day, your battery charge should at least last til bedtime.  You can then slow charge over night and have a full charge in the morning.  For me, in particular, I don't really have a need for super fast charging because I charge my phone every night while I sleep.  If I am running short of power because of overuse before then, I keep it on a charger while I am watching TV (I have a long USB cable).  It's still reachable and usable while charging.  For when I am out and about, I haven't had to give myself a boost unless traveling, and I always have a power pack with me.

0 Likes
turnitaround
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
I noticed that the pause only comes when you have the cord plugged in wrong. Maybe it's you have to have both the same direction? Just try flipping one end of the cord over and plug it back in.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

The whole purpose of USB-C is that there is no upside down.

0 Likes