Original topic:

Why does the timestamp for pictures and videos change based on timezones?

(Topic created: 6 hours ago)
NickB_94
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

I just got back from Missouri last week. I'm from NYC, which is currently an hour ahead. I took some pictures in Missouri around 3AM for example. However, when I was looking at the same pictures back when I was in NYC, I noticed that the timestamp changed from 3:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m.. in the details section of the photo. 

Is there a way to prevent this? I believe my phone changed the time because my timezone changed, but it should leave the time I took the picture as it is. 

1 Reply
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

It has everything to do with the time zone changing.  I never noticed before, but I just went back and checked some of my photos and see that the time was adjusted for my home time zone after my return.  I probably never noticed because I watermark my photos with the date and time stamp, which remains correct.  You can edit the date/time on your pictures after the fact, or you can add the watermark, as I do. I do not see a setting in either camera settings or gallery settings to prevent this (I know the calendar has a setting to keep my home time zone, so appointments don't get shifted).  However, I did also notice that in the Google photos backup, the date and time match the watermark.  So, apparently, only Gallery makes this change. Actually, One drive also makes a change, but it keeps the original date/time it just shows date/time taken (correct) and date modified (new time zone adjusted time)

SmartSelect_20241017_162947_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20241017_163019_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20241017_163047_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20241017_163055_Photos.jpg

0 Likes