Original topic:

Custom text message notifications

(Topic created: Tuesday)
serenarose
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

This shouldn't be that hard!!šŸ˜«

I'm having such a hard time setting custom notification/text message tones for specific contacts. When im in the messages app (samsung messages) I can only change someone's text tone if I already have a message thread going with them. I'm not able to just go into their contact info and add a custom text tone or custom ringtone anymore. I recently just switched back to samsung from iphone, and I remember years ago when I had samsung before the iphone, you were able to go to the contact and add the custom ringtone and text tone there. Is that not a thing anymore?

When I try to start a text message with someone, just so i can add a custom text message tone to that contact, I can see the options, but I'm not able to click on them because they're grayed out or whatever (see photo). And I also just read a few minutes ago, that if your messages delete with that person, the custom text tone you set for them goes away?? If thats the case im going to be sooo **bleep**g annoyedšŸ˜­ i just spent so much time downloading text tones and setting them for each specific contact, which I was only able to do because I had recent texts with them.

Does anyone know if there's a more permanent way to keep the custom text tones?? And if there's another way to set a text tone for a contact that I have no recent texts with? I also don't want to get a new messaging app because I want the theme that I'm using to also apply to the messaging app. And I know Google messages (I used Google messages first before I switched to samsung messages) doesn't do that where the theme applies to the messaging app as well. That's why I switched from google messages to samsung messages. Ughhh. It seems like you can't have it all, can youšŸ˜…šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€:female_sign: like I have to pick and choose or something!?! I'm really hoping that's not the case. It's **bleep**g samsung man! I thought they could literally do anything almost lol. 
Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated! tia.

11 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
You didn't attach a photo.
0 Likes
serenarose
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Oops lol. I just added it
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Thank you. You could just send a quick text.
0 Likes
serenarose
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I know I figured that, but to do that with every person when sometimes I don't wanna start a conversation with them right at that moment, would be a lot to so šŸ˜… hahaha
Options
Galaxy S24
Oh, I guess you could text them every other day, or when you feel like it.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
The buttons could un-gray after that.
0 Likes
Legend420_562
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm sorry ur having a rough time SerenaRose nice name btw... wish I knew these phones better just got mine yesterday and I'm struggling with them darn texting in general lol. I belive in you'll figure it out. šŸ˜‰
0 Likes
Dolly1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Is there any way to edit a text after you hit send on the galaxy 22 samssung. I use to be able n on my old s7
0 Likes
TerrytheTerrible
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Try the contacts app, you used to be able set custom notifications and ringtone for each contact.
0 Likes