Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 02-28-2024 12:30 PM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.šŸ˜ž
135 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
I think that app only shows up when Samsung or Google push operating system or or bug fix issues. It shows up with the Google Play apps that have an update but isn't a part of the store. This isn't an optional app, even though there seems to be an uninstall feature, I believe? I hope you get this update soon as it's still working very well to fix GPS while using either GPSTEST and Google Maps apps, at least while I'm not moving!
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Just found it in my app list. Last updated 20 Feb 2024

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I hope it's working for you as it appears to be for mine?
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Takes it a bit to adjust (initially thinks I'm in my neighbor's house) but then it figures out where I am. Moves around a little bit, but seems to be pretty accurate. I'm going to go on a walk in a bit, think I'll bring it and see how it compares to my Watch4.

CWinkler
Options
Galaxy S24
I tested it a little while ago and GPS is still not working reliably.
It generally was before I applied the February update (S926U1UEU1AXB7). I'm going to open a support ticket and see what Samsung has to say about it.

Update: backed up my phone and then navigated to Settings -> General Management -> Reset -> Reset All Settings.

Did a short walk and it appears to be working now. Won't be able to test more extensively until tomorrow.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear that, and a support ticket makes sense. My phone's been working ever since the update. However, I don't get glonass satellites but get all Galileo satellites. I updated my wife's phone and her's didn't get fixed! She has no Galileo satellites but all Glonass satellites! **bleep**. I don't know why my phone is working and if it will continue. My quandary now is that I just received my replacement S24U from Verizon, with a new 30 day replacement policy. Do I keep my old phone which may or may not continue working, or do I risk opening up the new phone and hope something in HW was fixed and will work right out of the box? Probably lowest risk in opening up new phone. Ugh, choices.
Options
Galaxy S24

What app are you using to determine which satellites are locked in?

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I use GPSTest and select Status from the pulldown menu in the upper left corner. There's a ton of info on that page.
Options
Galaxy S24
Just to let you know, after 20 hours of my GPS working very well it decided to go back to losing satellites and my location bouncing around, so the update by Google turned out not to be a fix.:( I'm in the process of initializing and configuring a replacement S24U that Verizon sent me. I'm not hopeful, as the HW version is the same (1.0), but it's worth a try for this expensive of a phone!
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
Downloaded the app. Can't say I understand the results. Here are 2 screenshots. Good? Not good? 1709162548914.jpg1709162548933.jpg
CWinkler
0 Likes