Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
135 Replies
Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear you've experienced the same issue! I still can't help but think this is a very common issue but not enough people are complaining to Samsung? If I knew there was a new hardware version it might be worth having them replace it again, but how could we find that out? I've also thought about going into a store and trying to show them the issue but stores don't have techs with that level of knowledge. I'm stumped and frustrated, and hope you get an answer to the issue. Next time I purchase a phone it won't be just after it's released. I'll go into a store with a list of must have working features and make sure all the boxes are checked, not that it will guarantee a working phone. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out?
0 Likes
NicNebude
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have gps issues too. S24 (eu, small) GPS is working, but jumping around. Try to change case, lots of tips in settings, factory reset, but whitout success.

S3 -> S4 -> S5 -> S8 -> S9 -> S10e -> S20 -> S21 -> S22 -> S23 -> S24
I know i'm crazy 😉
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear about your GPS issues! I was hoping this posting would uncover solutions but it didn't for me. That said, a lot of effort and great suggestions were posted here! Good luck on solving your issue and hopefully it's corrected in a future update?
0 Likes
Baumgami
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same problem here - lost 1,5km at the Wings for Life Run 😫

Edit: 1,5 km of 10km total distance were not measured. Shifting und cutting corners as far as I can see it on the gpx file of the track. Thats really bad

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I've come to the realization/conclusion that I can't depend on the S24U phone for accurate gps data. At this point I'm using garmin devices for all my biking and hiking gps needs. It's a shame to have spent so much money on a phone, expecting the gps to be reliable, and then go out and purchase yet another device to do the job. It's also difficult having to carry multiple devices when one should suffice. What I can say is the garmin gps devices that use multiband have far superior gps to any phone I've seen! By the way, I don't work for garmin.
0 Likes
MJ66
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I carry my old phone all the time with me now. Bought s24 in January but since it made me lose trains and buses because it showed me to walk in the wrong direction, and .. I got tired, now I carry my old phone with me to check the map!!!

0 Likes
usercsM6YEj8y8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same issue here, S24+.

GPS hops all over, never locks in. 

My old S20FE was excellent on GPS accuracy, but this one is terrible. My wife has the same phone, and hers is just as bad, so it's not specific to my device. 

I've installed all available updates, with no improvement. 

My next step will be to contact Samsung directly for a replacement, to see if the new hardware version you mention makes any difference. 

0 Likes
usero7uNJQXCYt
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
My s24+ gps is the same. Tons of issues.
0 Likes
alpayk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

i have the same issues with my new s24+. I frequently rent cars abroad and use my phone as navigator but it loses gps signal constantly, causing me to get lost. i hope samsung would resolve this issue at once

0 Likes
stevenpower
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Also having this issue, would be good if Samsung could give an update on this...?

0 Likes