Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
135 Replies
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I believe that injecting new data won't hurt anything. In my experience, toggling location or rebooting the phone does more to fix it when it's having issues.
Options
Galaxy S24
Wow that's crazy.
S23+ had no issues like S24+ and they can't have changed GPS hardware to any great extent.

My hope/wager is that it is a One UI 6.1 boo boo since it is fixing itself at times... maybe software bug/memory leak that crashes a routine then restarts again?

I did a 10 mile ride today and GPS was accurate. I haven't rebooted or changed anything since the last "failure".
Options
Galaxy S24
Two for two... tracked another ~20 mile bicycle ride today and it was accurate. Feeling lucky! 🤣

(Still no reboots or other changes).
Options
Galaxy S24
Glad to hear the gps is working for you on the rides! My phone gps isn't working the majority of the time anymore, even with restarts! I sent a recording to Samsung but expect nothing to be fixed. I'm just so frustrated at this point and don't have confidence Samsung will acknowledge the issue. Not sure what I'm doing next?
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah I haven't been able to get mine to fix itself for the past day now. I recorded a few YouTube videos of the problem, hopefully Samsung will look at them! I am noticing that on top of certain satellites and frequencies not appearing, some satellites never get any of flags, seemingly implying that the phone isn't getting data from these satellites? I'll send the links once it gets uploaded.
0 Likes
DarkenMoon
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Here are two videos I have that show me sitting in a parking lot not moving, and the phone shows that I am moving around the parking lot. This is probably the most concise way that I can show Samsung that something is wrong. I have a video where it's just the phone and then another where you can see an S22 next to it and it's pretty much alright. The pin on the parking spot was my actual location. You can see in both clips that my location is moving all around.

On the S22, the location was pretty stationary and accurate, and the majority of satellites show all the flags, AEU, implying that they are all being used for data.

Whereas on the S24 Ultra, the phone is jumping around and believes me to be moving around. It shows that my speed is fluctuating and that my altitude is changing, even when the phone is sitting still in a phone mount. You can also see in GPSTest that most of the satellites are lacking the E and U flags, seemingly implying that it isn't getting data from them for an unknown reason. You will also see satellites are missing, such as the EU E5a and E1, and RU L1, and some US L5s.

https://youtu.be/l-EFAhVgdD0?si=rs-QQEUGsWDW1JKu

https://youtu.be/7NHjmsNfeMA?si=RMoOh7y4y2uFG0Zu
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Looks like the S24U is using different satellites (all the Chinese ones and not Russian). Might that be the difference and causing all the moving around?

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
swake2171
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I've had my S24 for a couple of weeks now and am having the same issue with GPS not being accurate on maps and bouncing me from different sides of the streets which makes it difficult to use. I also walk/hike a lot and its frustrating that such a basic feature is not working properly and that Samsung are not acknowledging it.

Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah, I've tried everything, with the help of others in his thread, but to no avail! I can thoroughly relate to your disappointment and feel that Samsung doesn't seam to want to address or admit to any gps issues. My phone seems to work, and then not work well, and a restart can often fix it temporarily. I've sent a screen recording of my Google Maps location bouncing around but only seen a generic response of it being forwarded for analysis. What concerns me is that I got a replacement phone that does the same thing, and my wife's phone also exhibits this behavior. I'm hanging on to this phone but am not happy, and probably won't keep it long unless the issue is fixed. I also hike frequently but use a Garmin 67i with satellite capability (for safety) and the gps is rock solid and accuracy of 6ft. Unfortunately, it's anther device to carry. We'll see what happens on future updates, if anything?
0 Likes
KenA1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I am having the same problems with my S24+. I've had the phone for just over 3 weeks now and was considering sending it back as I thought I had a faulty one. I use Map My Walk app when walking the dog and the first time I used it I noticed that it was not following my walk and the distance stayed at zero. I checked my setting with those used on my S20+ and all seemed to be the same. I also noticed that my location when at home took a while to find. Checked out maps away from home on the heath and it took for ever and was way out. I also have what three words app and when away from home it says low accuracy and within 2300ft. I have since contacted the Samsung UK technical service twice now. The first time was told to clear maps data cache which failed to make any difference. The second time it was requested to allow access to the phone which failed to find a reason for the very poor location accuracy. I was then advised that they had a note that there was a software update coming this month. It was suggested to try a factory restore if I could not wait for the update to appear. This I did do and again made no difference. I was going to return phone untill I came across this page and realised I was one amongst many having the same problems. So wait for the update before my next step if the problem is not resolved. I am currently using my S20+ for my Map my walks when is behaving faultlessly.

As an update I've installed latest update and done a factory reset neither has worked. I have now installed the GPS Test app on both the S20+ ans the S24+. The S20 picks up loads of satallites and accuracy of 9 t0 15 feet. Howevere the S24+ says no fix and clicking on this it states "GNSS receiver is on but signal is not good enough to get valid location fix. However it does suggest power down and try again". This I did and found the S24+ now responded as the S20+. However after returning to the app later I found it had loss all contacts with the satallites and No Fix message and could not get it to improve. So there is clearly a location problem with this mobile.