Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 01-31-2024 06:42 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.😞
135 Replies
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I didn't notice any issues in Google maps when I put in my address, but I did notice when I returned from my walk yesterday that Samsung Health from my Active4 had my GPS tracks way off. Same watch, just different phone. I'll walk again today to see if it's any better. If I can attach pictures, you'll see the difference in the maps between my S10+ and S24 Ultra. Route basically the same, just went in opposite directions on each day to add interest. First one is S10+, 2nd is S24U.

Screenshot_20240131_105946_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20240131_110016_Samsung Health.jpg

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
Options
Galaxy S24
I contacted Samsung support and they were very responsive! They are working on a fix. My GPS seems to be behaving better since the call, but I didn't personally change anything. However, Google Maps is still slow to acquire accurate GPS and the circle of uncertainty never goes away, and it normally does. I'm hoping for a fix in the near future, but we'll see?
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
My walk today looks like my S10+ again.
CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Glad to hear your gps worked on your walk today! I also seem to be getting good data on the GPSTest app, today, with Horiz Accur of 8.2ft and speed of zero. Unfortunately, I do believe Google Maps needs an update to obtain a faster fix and better locking onto location. We'll see what Samsung does on a future update?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

There is definitely something messed up with S24+ GPS accuracy! Initially it was inconsistent when I first started tracking rides with this phone then improved and is again terrible (even after applying the update on Thursday).

I did a 40 mile bicycle ride today (around a major metropolitan US city) that I've done 30+ times. Cyclemeter app logged 27 miles and showed hardly any contours along the route. My friend recorded 40 miles total.

Never had problems like this with previous mobile phones (Samsung, Pixel  OnePlus or Apple). I've been using the same app for 15+ years 😞 

I'm going to contact support.

Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to hear this info. 😞 I'm an avid hiker and only trust my data when using a Garmin 67i GPS, with multiband support. May I suggest you possibly consider this brand for your rides? I'm not a Garmin rep. I'd still contact Samsung , though, as this is unacceptable!
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

I noticed this as well!

Went for a 15 mile bicycle ride yesterday. The app that I've used for more than a decade reported ~8 miles total distance with a jumble of ~10 straight lines instead of the actual route.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah, it's tough purchasing the latest and greatest phone without knowing what issues will pop up. I was hoping for a fix on 1/23 but it looks like Samsung has a lot to fix on this first update. 😞
0 Likes
Ryanf168
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I'm having the same issue. I can't even use maps to navigate because it just freezes trying to aquire gps. I've never had issues like this with any previous phone