Original topic:

Galaxy S24 Google Maps GPS issue (SM-S921B/DS)

(Topic created: a week ago)
Galaxy S24

I am encountering a persistent issue with GPS signal loss when using Google Maps. This problem is specific to Google Maps, as other navigation apps function correctly. I've noticed that other users are experiencing the same issue. My Google Maps app is always updated, yet the problem persists. I have reported this through the "Feedback" section within the app, but the issue remains unresolved.

I do not believe this is a hardware problem, as the GPS works briefly after restarting the device before losing the signal again. Other GPS-dependent apps work fine, but Google Maps shows delayed movement updates and displays "Location accuracy is low" when tapping the blue location dot. Additionally, when initiating a route, the signal is completely lost, and the location fails to update. However, the compass functions accurately.

For context, I am using a global model S24 (SM-S921B/DS), manufactured on March 1, 2024. I am unsure if this issue affects other variants, such as those with Qualcomm SoCs or the S24 Ultra. I suspect this is likely a software issue rather than hardware-related. If any other users have experienced this issue, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences, solutions, or workarounds.

Software Info: S921BXXS3AXGD, THL CSC, Location Always-on, App can access location in the background.. 

GPS Info:

ea106b593c464f0aad5fb72dd578e3b9.jpeg

12 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

If this problem is specific to Google Maps I suggest contacting Google.  In the meantime, you can use another map app.  Does it also happen in Waze (which is Google on steroids, but uses Google as its base)?

0 Likes
Galaxy S24

Google does not care about it. Issue present since this phone came out but no improvements or fixes.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Because it's Google, not Samsung. A good rule of thumb is if it only occurs with one app, it's the fault o the app or user error. If you truly believe it's a Samsung error, put in a proper error report, instead of coming to a user forum.  I haven't seen any other complaints about this with that device.  You can try clearing your cache partition, or the app's cache and data to see if that helps.

Galaxy S24

I understand your reply, but service center does not accept this as an issue, and only recommends resetting to factory settings. I wrote it here so with enough support, brand can see this problem. There are many S24 suffering from this issue, you can search up Reddit or Google.

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

But, are the people on reddit or Google actually complaining to each other or putting in error reports?  Is everyone on those Reddit and Google forums using a Samsung device?  If not, then it would clearly be Google's problem, and I don't know if they have a formal error reporting system.

The error reporting system goes directly to the engineers and if they see one person reporting an issue, it likely gets ignored or put on the back burner.  If many, many people report the same error and submit their log files, then they are more likely to pay attention and create a fix.  The engineers or powers that be are not reading reddit or Google forums.  It is likely a code error between Google and this particular phone's network controls.  If it's Samsung's error, they will likely correct it in a future update. If it turns out to be something Google has to deal with, they will either work with Google's team on a fix or pass it off to Google to fix.  But, no one is going to act on an issue that has minimal reports. 

0 Likes
Galaxy S24

I saw this peoblem only on S24, no complaints about Maps with other devices whatsoever. I can confirm this by trying 4 phones with different brands with same conditions and S24 fails. S23 does not have this problem. In reference to the S24 model, there have been numerous discussions on the S24 subreddit addressing an ongoing issue. Despite the existence of member topics dedicated to this matter, no satisfactory workaround has been found. I intend to report this issue to both companies involved. It is concerning that this problem has persisted since the phone's launch without any resolution. I appreciate your response.

0 Likes
Kbutler868
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I have the same issue with my s24 ultra.
0 Likes
FLAIRprint
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Same issue w s21fe and S9+
The screenshot of gps info, what is it, an app or some hidden phone feature,? Please advise, I'd like to get similar data on my devices. Tia
0 Likes
Galaxy S24

App's name is GPS Test. Available on Play Store.