JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I set individual alerts for each group conversation in Google Messages?

(Topic created: 09-14-2024 03:10 AM)
Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Looks like Samsung wants me to move to Google Messages.  Before I do, I tried to verify that I could set alerts for groups that are unique from other groups and individuals.  

I am able to set individual message alerts for their unique sound, but the phone will not save my setting for a Group message under Group Details  / Notifications.  It allows me to select something from the list, but when I exit it does not update the requested setting.  I have tried this same procedure on a S24 and a S21.  I must be missing something.

I have Google Messages installed parallel to Samsung Messages, with Google Messages as the default.  I hve group conversations grouped into group messages. 

I am running a S24 on Android 14 oui 6.1 (6.1.1).  I am using the latest Google Messages.  I did enable thr setting "to work with Galaxy phone" in settings.

Thanks for any guyidance,

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
8 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24
That's interesting, because I have been able to do that with conversations I didn't even want to do it with (because I was experimenting) and now I'm stuck with a list of conversations that I want to have the default sound (and are set that way), but now I can't delete them. Oh, well, if I ever decide to give them a unique sound, at least they are good to go.

It sounds as if you did everything correctly, so I don't know why the sound is not "taking". I just tried changing a group text sound and it took for me.
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

From what I've seen, you have to keep the group in your message list to keep the sound. I like to delete group messages when their purpose is done, and that makes all customization go away. Not sure what might happen if I archived rather than deleted, because I just thought of that.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

It should keep the sound if you archive it, because should messages in that group come in, the message comes out of archive and becomes active.  Even if it didn't keep the sound when archived, it's easy enough to give it the sound when it reemerges.

It sounds like the OP has an active message group going that they are trying to customize the sound for.

Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I learned that as well.  I don't delete text messages, so I can remember what was said.  Seems the notification settings are within the group properties.

Archiving sounds like an interest option.  Let me know how that works out.

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I agree.  Thanks for verifying it works somewhere.

I tried a S24 and a S21.  Maybe I will remove and reinstall.  I may try to create a new group and see if I am successful.

Thanks,

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

If you try the Archive route before I do, let me know what you learn.

CWinkler
Solution
Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

I believe I figured it out.  Google Message Group Notifications now work as expected.  I know it was not rocket science, but some setting or bug caused this issue.

I found a setting on one of my Message Groups and none other.  I touched the switch and it disappeared from view.  I was then able to set a Message Group Notification.  Google Messages now actually saves the choice I  made instead of not doing anything but default.  Individual notifcations were not affected.  On the photo, I just touched the red circled area and was able to proceed as normal.  This happened on both of my phones.  Apparently what ever it was, replicated to the other phone through synchronization.

20240914_003523.jpg

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

Does that mean that replies will all come in as individual messages and not part of the group thread? I'm not really understanding what the circled part is meaning.

CWinkler
0 Likes