Original topic:

Issue: S24 Ultra suddenly not detectable via USB-C on any operating system (Ubuntu, macOS, Win)

(Topic created: 05-16-2024 07:39 PM)
Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

This is my fourth Samsung Galaxy device. I have never experienced an issue as confounding as this.

Specs:

• Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, 512GB
  • Phone model: SM-S928U
  • Android version: 14

Notes/symptoms:

• By "suddenly" -> I mean suddenly. I have owned this phone for approximately 3 months. During that time, everything was working fine with USB-C data transfer to computer. Now it is not detectable.
  • By "not detectable" I mean it will not trigger any notification on either device (phone or computer), nor will it receive a charge
  • Device has no issue charging over USB-C when plugged into a wall outlet, however it will not charge over USB-C when connected to a computer.
  • Device is in pristine condition, was purchased new from T-Mobile, is not rooted, and has had no other issues.
  • It is NOT the cable. I have tried multiple high-end cables, including the one that it came with. As a former systems administrator, I am certain that it is not the cable.
  • It is not the computer. I have tried various operating/hardware systems: Ubuntu 24.04, macOS 14.4.1 and 12x, Win11. The OS I was previously in the habit of connecting this device to with USB-C is macOS.
  • The only odd thing I've done, is rather than using Android File Transfer, I had previously been using the OpenMTP application on macOS for file transfer between my MacBook Pro and S24 Ultra. This was working great for 3 months. I don't think this is related to the problem, but it ought to be noted.

Things I have tried:

• Rebooting, everything, a bunch
  • Connecting to various operating/hardware systems: Ubuntu 24.04, macOS 14.4.1 and 12x, Win11 (it's not the computer... it's the phone)
  • Connecting with different quality cables
  • Uninstalling recently installed apps, turning off Nova Launcher
  • Wiping cache partition
  • Reseting USB Port Settings, as described here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s22-series/usb-c-port-not-working/td-p/5546501
  • Tweaking every Android setting I can think of

Grievances:

• The lack of an SD card slot on the s24 Ultra is infuriating! It has magnified the impact of this issue 10-fold. I have no way to--locally--retrieve or backup nearly 500GB of data off of my device. What are my options? Attempt to Bluetooth 500GB of data? The lack of an SD card socket is inhumane.

I am now attempting to wirelessly send half-a-terabyte of phone data to the "cloud" as the kids call it lol! Expecting that to take some 24 hours. Then I will perform a factory reset since it's the only thing else I can think of to try. Please help. Please don't make me send my phone to fix this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

@STRATADevelopment mode is off. I am afraid "DOUBLE [check] YOUR USB SETTINGS" is not helpful.

0 Likes
STRATA
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
SWOP FOR A REPLACEMENT ITS UNDER STANDARD WARRANTY IF IT IS ONLY 3-4 MONTHS OLD
0 Likes
U22blk23
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Usb-c jump drive. Loads on sd card.
Load in computer
0 Likes
Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

The USB-C port isn't working for data like I've mentioned several times. I just used wireless FTP. Learned how easy that was at least. Guess I can't use USB-C for data unless I send in my device on warranty.

0 Likes
OblivionThrone
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Have you turned off your Auto Blocker?
Options
Galaxy S24
This ^^^ Auto blocker is such a pain. I immediately turn it off the second I power my new Samsung phones on. It can cause some seriously whacky and unpredictable behavior when utilizing the USBC port for data or anything to do to with FTP/PTP connections. Best to just enable it, uncheck the two enabled boxes, then disable it again.
*Note: You must first enable Auto blocker to disable the two enabled blocking options, then you are free to disable it again.
I have low hopes this solves your issue as the S24U shipped with Auto blocker, so technically you should have had issues immediately, but it's worth a shot at this point.
Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I appreciate your suggestion @OblivionThrone and your input @ricketypumpkin. Sadly Auto Blocker is OFF and has always been OFF. I do not use this feature.

0 Likes
OblivionThrone
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It sucks when your device has a way of not responding the way it should. Yeah USB... my only other suggestion before trying a port reset is in the included image.vGood luck. Try all 8 methods.searchModSet]2_1000030611_1715926598.png
0 Likes
TechToTravis
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi there,

I ran into the same problem as you. The only workaround I've found is to use a USB-C to USB-A cable, even though it's not ideal. It works fine for me that way.

My USB-C to USB-C cable just doesn't work with my S24 Ultra, even though it works with other phones and laptops. Strangely, the USB-C to USB-C connection worked when I tried it with my friend's Mac. Not sure if it's an issue with my laptop or the S24 Ultra's port, but hopefully this helps for anyone in the same boat.

Joel_Yancey
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

@TechToTravis  Oh my god that worked. USB-C to USB-A actually worked. So stuff is wrong with the S24 Ultra's port...?! That will work in a pinch, I guess.

I am torn as to whether to accept your reply as the solution. I wish I could accept it as the workaround.

0 Likes