JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Pros & cons of turning off my phone at night?

(Topic created: 03-31-2024 07:04 PM)
Peticio
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi! I've always turned off my phone at night, I'm not a heavy user,  so it'll be at 30% or 40%.

I usually charge my phone in the morning while I do my morning routine before leaving the house and try to manually stop charging before at 90% or so.

In my mind and with no data to support this, I like to think that this gives my phone a break and it'll live longer. Am I doing the right thing? Should I just keep it on at night on airplane mode / do not disturb? 

I've read that some devices work harder when being turned back on.

What do you guys think?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Turning it off every night is not only not helpful, it is actively detrimental to the device. These are machines meant to be left on 24/7/365, you do not need to "give it a break,", you are preventing it from running updates or maintenance during periods when it knows you are asleep, and turning the phone on induces a period of high resource use. Just leave the phone on and set it to do not disturb at night.

View solution in context

4 Replies
Solution
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
Turning it off every night is not only not helpful, it is actively detrimental to the device. These are machines meant to be left on 24/7/365, you do not need to "give it a break,", you are preventing it from running updates or maintenance during periods when it knows you are asleep, and turning the phone on induces a period of high resource use. Just leave the phone on and set it to do not disturb at night.
Peticio
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks a lot for your comment. It does make sense. I just thought that if I turned it off at night, which is roughly 1/3 of the time, then in 3 years, it would have been up and running for only 2 years and "resting' for 1 year.

I'll do as you say.  Thanks again! šŸ™‚

0 Likes
Popsicle20
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
You can also set up a Mode or Routine to turn Battery Saver on and AOD off overnight. The screenshot shows a Routine that I have which is set to run overnight. (I turn the volume up overnight because I want to make sure that I hear severe weather alerts.)1711969541904.jpg
0 Likes
Peticio
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks for sharing your Routine. That's a great idea! I'll look into that and see if I create one for me šŸ˜‰