Original topic:

RCS Messaging not working

(Topic created: yesterday)
Shaen
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Good afternoon. I have an S24 Ultra on Verizon using the Google Messages app. I've noticed the past couple days that messages have been getting sent as SMS. I went to Messages settings and selected RCS chats. Once that is selected all I see is a note that states "RCS chats aren't available for this device. Your device does not currently support this feature". Any ideas what would cause this? I'm not real Android savvy, but the RCS has been working normally for the past year l've had Android. 

Thanks for the help!
0 Likes
9 Replies
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24
There's a update recently that turned rcd on by default don't recall date of that update but you should be having it on check settings should be top one
0 Likes
skibik
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Not tech savvy either but try settings, apps, find the message app and click on it and try to clear cache and/or force a stop and see if that corrects it. Another option would be to uninstall and reinstall the app and see if that fixes it.

0 Likes
krazr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Same boat for me.  S24 Ultra and a few days ago, all RCS stopped.  No way to change it either.  My number shows "Unknown Number" no matter how many times I set it under the RCS "Advanced" area and other than that, it just shows that "RCS Chats aren't available for this device".  I've had this phone since pre-order and this behavior just started.  I have a ton of message history dating back years so I'm not willing to try the reset data option that wipes the actual data (not cache) from the app but nothing else even shows it's available to try.  Samsung only gives you the option to Force Stop the app or Uninstall Updates.  Force stopping the app results in no change and if you use the uninstall updates option, it says it will wipe the data for the app and I don't want to try that.  I did try looking up the apk for Google Messages but the version I have is the newest on the Play Store and trying to update the app from a source like APK Pure only results in the update saying it's older than the current version I have installed and that to install the older version will result in a data wipe...

0 Likes
skibik
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Download an app called SMS back and restore from the Google Play Store and back up your messages to your Google account. Make sure the back file is there. You can back it up to your phone also, the app does warn you not to do this but I have done it but I have mine backed up to both places and not just to the phone. Once you are sure you backed up your messages you can delete the app and reinstall and then restore the messages after.

0 Likes
krazr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Those do work to a certain degree and the reason why I still have messages from years ago on my new s24 but they aren't perfect. I'd rather find out from someone else that tried it, and that it worked than be the guinea pig with all the infomation I have at stake. If someone wants to try deleting all of their own data in Messages that is having a similar problem and report back that it somehow made their RCS start functioning again, I might take the plunge. Otherwise I'll just have the limited usability I have now until Samsung/Google sends out some form of fix/patch to whatever they did that broke it.
0 Likes
skibik
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

It was only a suggestion.

I have accidently deleted some messages and have restored them using that app so I know it works. I just have not deleted all messages but I assume when I restored it restored all messages and since I couldn't select a specific message to restore.

0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24
Go to settings, about phone, software information, scroll down to Google Play System, tap on it. There should be an update that might fix things.
0 Likes
krazr
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Interesting because I've never done that and mine did show mine was last updated on July 1st so there was an update for August 1st and after getting that it made me rstart the phone but no change in the Messages app after installing that update. Still behaves the same broken way for me. I literally click on RCS chats under Message Settings and its got no information on the page except for saying that "RCS chats aren't available for this device
Your device does not currently support this feature. Learn more"

You click on that and it has very basic help articles that aren't relevant to this issue at all. Weird how this literally just started a few days ago... It's never been an issue and always just worked. Pretty frustrating since I've nothing to my knowledge that could've broken RCS and knowing that someone else randomly also is having the same sort of problem makes me think that either Google or Samsung put an update out on some random app that caused this problem and the fix is literally going to be me/those that are having this problem just waiting for them to put out a patch for whatever it was that broke it.
0 Likes
Shaen
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Thanks for all the replies. I checked for the Google play system update just now and it shows up to date. As far as system update it shows the last update was August 18, but this behavior just started within the past few days.
0 Likes